• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I send legal documents to someone who has an OP against me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My husband has an OP against me. I am going to file a quitclaim deed for the house we share to him. Can I sent it to him or is it a violation of the OP.

Just Blue

My husband has an OP against me. I am going to file a quitclaim deed for the house we share to him. Can I sent it to him or is it a violation of the OP.
What does your OP state (word for word, sans identifying information) regarding you having any type of contact with your husband? Are you and he divorcing. .if yes, does he have an attorney? Do you have an attorney?

I will have to look at the OP for the wording. I know I am to have not contact with him and stay 500 feet away. Not divorcing yet and no attorney. Going to quitclaim the house to him and want to send him the papers. If I can.

adjusterjack

Going to quitclaim the house to him
Why on earth would you do that in advance of your divorce? You could be entitled to a share of the equity. You would be foolish to quitclaim the house to him without discussing it with a divorce attorney.

I know, I've met women who said "I gave him everything because I wanted to get it over with." Don't be that woman.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I will have to look at the OP for the wording. I know I am to have not contact with him and stay 500 feet away. Not divorcing yet and no attorney. Going to quitclaim the house to him and want to send him the papers. If I can.
Is there a mortgage/deed of trust on the home that you are are liable to pay? If so, understand that the quit claim will not remove your liability for the loan. In that case, you probably want to wait to do the quit claim until he refinances the loan solely into his name. If you give the quit claim before he refinances you lose the leverage you have to get him to go out and do that.

LdiJ

That could be a horribly bad idea. A quitclaim won't get you off the mortgage if you are on it now.

zddoodah

Ummm...no one here has read your order of protection. You have (right?). So you'd have to tell us what it prohibits and permits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">