• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue a former employer for slander/libel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luciagirl

What is the name of your state? MD

This past March I was working for a company that had nothing to do w/my career field. It was a means to an end, until I found something more stable and full-time. When I was offered a full-time job w/the Federal Government, I gave my two weeks notice to the owners of this small Nursing business. The owners did not respond at first to my resignation, until a few days later when I was asked if there was anything that they could do to convince me to stay onboard w/them. After informing them no, several days later, I was presented w/a letter from the owner stating that it has come to their attention that I've taken files from their office and I'm habitually late. That the letter served as a warning and if it happens again, I would be terminated. I was stunned and horrified that this letter was addressed to me. Which I might state, my name was grossly misspelled on the letter. I decided to end my working relationship w/this company and resigned a few days earlier.

Now the job that I took w/the government requires that I get a background investigation done for a clearance. I've just come back from ajudication where my employers informed me that this company that I worked for submitted some deragatory information to them about me. Basically, the lie about my taking folders from their office. I'd like to know what actions can I take against this former company that I worked for, if the information that was supplied hurts my chances of getting a clearance and me keeping my job.
My keeping my job is based on me getting a clearance.

BelizeBreeze

UNTIL such time as that happens, you don't have any recourse.

The simple thing to have done would have been to submit your initial letter of resignation (dated) and the original letter to you to show the retaliation.

I suppose you kept neither. right?

Beth3

I agree with Belize that until you suffer damages (i.e. losing your job), there is no legal action you can take. If that occurs, then the burden of proof would be on you to demonstrate that the employer knowingly lied about your taking the files or was neligent in their statements about you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">