• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue BP?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbdavis11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ALabama
My husband was robbed and shot July 8, 2011. The two men who committed the crime were never caught. My husband had met the two men prior to the incident at the BP gas station the day before the crime was committed. BP has many cameras around their establishment, but they will not release the video footage to the local police department to help with our case. What can I do to get that video footage; can I sue BP?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My husband was robbed and shot July 8, 2011. The two men who committed the crime were never caught. My husband had met the two men prior to the incident at the BP gas station the day before the crime was committed. BP has many cameras around their establishment, but they will not release the video footage to the local police department to help with our case. What can I do to get that video footage; can I sue BP?
Sue them for what?

CdwJava

How do you know they will not release the video to the police?

Even if the business is for some reason being obstinate, the police and the prosecutor could easily obtain a subpoena or a warrant for the video if it exists.

I doubt you have any grounds for a lawsuit.

FlyingRon

The state is responsible for the prosecution (or not) not you. If the prosecutor wanted the video, he'd subpoena it. BP has no responsibility to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">