• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue criminals who trespassed on my property, stolen cards from parking lot, breaking and entering,etc..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? UT

Can I sue criminals who trespassed on my commercial property, stealing cars from the parking lot, breaking and entering my building, stealing from tenants.

Can I sue under the theory of diminished value and/or reputational harm of having my property associated with crime? I did have someone offer very little to rent and cited the crime associated with my building at one point.

Intellectual property thief, vandalism, emotional distress, punitive damages, occupying the building without a lease, etc...

What types of creative things could a victim of a crime sue the criminal for?

In 2023, it seems like the normal criminal charges no longer are discouraging criminals from committing retail crime. Is there a civil litigation that retailers and commercial retail owners can use to defend themselves or seek justice legally?

If you sunk your life savings into some small retail building than found yourself the target of criminals with police unwilling to help, what type of civil action would you take to protect what you worked so hard for?

Regards

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? UT

Can I sue criminals who trespassed on my commercial property, stealing cars from the parking lot, breaking and entering my building, stealing from tenants.

Can I sue under the theory of diminished value and/or reputational harm of having my property associated with crime? I did have someone offer very little to rent and cited the crime associated with my building at one point.

Intellectual property thief, vandalism, emotional distress, punitive damages, occupying the building without a lease, etc...

In 2023, it seems like the normal criminal charges no longer are discouraging criminals from committing retail crime. Is there a civil litigation that retailers and commercial retail owners can use to defend themselves or seek justice legally?

If you sunk your life savings into some small retail building than found yourself the target of criminals with police unwilling to help, what type of civil action would you take to protect what you worked so hard for?

Regards
Anyone can sue anyone for anything. However whether you win or not depends on facts not present. Do you own the cars? Do you own the stuff that was stolen? How are you the victim? What of yours was harmed? And do the criminals actually have money to pay if you were to win?

The business was damage as a result of the break in. Locks broken, windows shattered, etc. There is higher insurance because of the claims. When I try to lease the space, some prospective tenants make low ball offers and cite the recent crime incidents all over the news.

I don't know the cards but perhaps I am expected to provide a certain level of care for those visiting the property. When its all over the news how cars are stolen and they show picture of my building, it provides a bad and dangerous image that will cause people to not visit the property or lease space.

The building has traditional been on the good faith and honor system but now am forced to pay security guard to patrol the property and considering spending thousands of a security camera system. I may have emotional distress about the criminal acts and acts of vandalism to my property.

Perhaps I was target for a hate crime and that is why my building was singled out for the criminal activity. Also, viewing parts of the building not open to the public I believe violates my trade secrets and intellectual property.

This is not someone who wandered in the wrong area but rather took physical action to break a locked door and window to gain access in order to steal from a tenant. This was no accident but done on purpose. I could like to discourage future criminals from targeting my building. I would like to know the theories of law I could move forward in legal action against the criminals.

Last edited:

quincy

The business was damage as a result of the break in. Locks broken, windows shattered, etc. There is higher insurance because of the claims. When I try to lease the space, some prospective tenants make low ball offers and cite the recent crime incidents all over the news.

I don't know the cards but perhaps I am expected to provide a certain level of care for those visiting the property. When its all over the news how cars are stolen and they show picture of my building, it provides a bad and dangerous image that will cause people to not visit the property or lease space.

The building has traditional been on the good faith and honor system but now am forced to pay security guard to patrol the property and considering spending thousands of a security camera system. I may have emotional distress about the criminal acts and acts of vandalism to my property.

Perhaps I was target for a hate crime and that is why my building was singled out for the criminal activity. Also, viewing parts of the building not open to the public I believe violates my trade secrets and intellectual property.

This is not someone who wandered in the wrong area but rather took physical action to break a locked door and window to gain access in order to steal from a tenant. This was no accident but done on purpose. I could like to discourage future criminals from targeting my building. I would like to know the theories of law I could move forward in legal action against the criminals.
You can sue to recover your demonstrated losses. Your tenants can sue to recover their demonstrated losses.

All criminal acts (theft, vandalism) are handled by law enforcement.

PayrollHRGuy

Let's say you sue the criminal and win. What makes you think for a second that you would be able to collect on the judgment?

adjusterjack

Reality check.

You can sue under any number of theories. You may even win judgments. But you are dealing with criminals, low lifes, addicts, who steal for money for their next fix. There is little possibility of ever collecting.

The best you can hope for is restitution from those who are criminally prosecuted and agree to it to reduce sentencing. But good luck collecting even that.

You either pay for security or sell the property for whatever you can get and move on.

zddoodah

Sure. Anyone can sue anyone for anything. However, the ability to sue and the likelihood of successfully suing and the likelihood of collecting on a judgment are all completely different inquiries.

Can I sue under the theory of diminished value and/or reputational harm of having my property associated with crime?
There's no such thing as "reputational harm" unless you're suing for defamation or false light publicity. Since your post says nothing about what happened to you, there's no way to opine intelligently about what damages might be available.

Depends on the relevant facts and circumstances, none of which you provided.

Your follow up post suggests that a building you own was burglarized. The causes of action you could allege would be trespass to real property and, possibly conversion (maybe additional facts might suggest additional causes of action). The damages that would be recoverable would be the costs of any repairs, the value of anything stolen, and punitive damages. As others have noted, your likelihood of collecting on any judgment you might obtain are likely very low.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The building has traditional been on the good faith and honor system but now am forced to pay security guard to patrol the property and considering spending thousands of a security camera system.
Reading between the lines -
This shows that you have neglected basic security for your property for far too long. Your tenants (it sounds like you have tenants) are right to be concerned about your shortcomings in this area.

quincy

What about the area do you think makes your building out of all others a target of crime? Is it isolated? Lacking adequate outdoor lighting?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">