• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue for false accusation&emotional distress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jh341212

(Tennessee)Earlier I was shopping at A *large sporting goods store and after I paid for my clothes, I walked out of the doors and was approached by two cops who began to question/interrogate me about shoplifting and told me the employees believed I had been stealing and made them suspicious because I was in there for “3 hours”. First of all, I was in there for no more than 1 and 1/2 hours and I have proof. Also, today was the first day of a weekend sale they had going on, and there was a lot of clearance racks to go through and I wanted to find the best deals that I could. And, I was also sending my mom pictures of clothes to see if she or my grandma liked it and wanted me to buy it for them. I was not acting weird or sneaky, I was shopping just like everybody else. They had no reason whatsoever to suspect I was shoplifting, I believe I was discriminated against. And also, they lied about how long I was in there. On top of the humiliation of being falsely accused of shoplifting, they questioned & searched me right outside of the store in public so everybody could see. I want to know if I can sue? Honestly, I would be happy if I could take this to court and get the employees that called the police on me, fired. Money isn’t exactly what I’m looking for. But this was completely unacceptable and something needs to be done.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Earlier I was shopping at Dunham’s (large sporting goods store) and after I paid for my clothes, I walked out of the doors and was approached by two cops who began to question/interrogate me about shoplifting and told me the employees believed I had been stealing and made them suspicious because I was in there for “3 hours”. First of all, I was in there for no more than 1 and 1/2 hours and I have proof. Also, today was the first day of a weekend sale they had going on, and there was a lot of clearance racks to go through and I wanted to find the best deals that I could. And, I was also sending my mom pictures of clothes to see if she or my grandma liked it and wanted me to buy it for them. I was not acting weird or sneaky, I was shopping just like everybody else. They had no reason whatsoever to suspect I was shoplifting, I believe I was discriminated against. And also, they lied about how long I was in there. On top of the humiliation of being falsely accused of shoplifting, they questioned & searched me right outside of the store in public so everybody could see. I want to know if I can sue? Honestly, I would be happy if I could take this to court and get the employees that called the police on me, fired. Money isn’t exactly what I’m looking for. But this was completely unacceptable and something needs to be done.
What state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">