• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue for Libel/Slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Foxfire0-0-7

What is the name of your state? New York

Although I understand the laws are complicated, my question is somewhat simple. I don't mean to be "too vague" but due to circumstances, I'll try to be as clear as possible.

I am a Federal Investigator and in the process of doing my job, I make decisions regarding whether or not a person's complaint falls within the jurisdictional scope of a particular federal statute. As such, not everyone is happy.....I don't write the laws, I just investigate allegations of violations.

A complainant filed a complaint with me. It was screened and lawfully dismissed (for statutory reasons). The complainant retained an attorney who has since filed several public documents with not only the legal system but also with congressional personnel and my supervisors. In these documents there are incredible lies, inaccuracies and completely false allegations of my incompetence.

To put it bluntly, I have been shocked at what this lawyer has put into print about me. That he, as a legal professional, has actually sent this correspondence out to not only the court system but to people who I work for and who therefore control my career.

Can I sue this guy???

HomeGuru

Foxfire0-0-7 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

Although I understand the laws are complicated, my question is somewhat simple. I don't mean to be "too vague" but due to circumstances, I'll try to be as clear as possible.

I am a Federal Investigator and in the process of doing my job, I make decisions regarding whether or not a person's complaint falls within the jurisdictional scope of a particular federal statute. As such, not everyone is happy.....I don't write the laws, I just investigate allegations of violations.

A complainant filed a complaint with me. It was screened and lawfully dismissed (for statutory reasons). The complainant retained an attorney who has since filed several public documents with not only the legal system but also with congressional personnel and my supervisors. In these documents there are incredible lies, inaccuracies and completely false allegations of my incompetence.

To put it bluntly, I have been shocked at what this lawyer has put into print about me. That he, as a legal professional, has actually sent this correspondence out to not only the court system but to people who I work for and who therefore control my career.

Can I sue this guy???
**A: and what has your post gots to do with Landlord Tenant Law?

F

Foxfire0-0-7

Sorry...Must Be wrong Thread

Guess I asked my question in the wrong forum.

H

hans4874

Very calmy write down for yourself what you recall about what happened and why/circumstances etc.

Do you have yourself, copies in writing of what this attorney is alleging? Get them if you do not not.

If so, every state bar has a referral service, you need one who will handle a slander case, get a professional opinion.

But bear in mind, you haver to be able to prove it happened and prove it did you harm.

I would only pursue something like this if it was worth my while and as a public servant it may hurt your more than help you.

HomeGuru

Re: reply

hans4874 said:
Very calmy write down for yourself what you recall about what happened and why/circumstances etc.

Do you have yourself, copies in writing of what this attorney is alleging? Get them if you do not not.

If so, every state bar has a referral service, you need one who will handle a slander case, get a professional opinion.

But bear in mind, you haver to be able to prove it happened and prove it did you harm.

I would only pursue something like this if it was worth my while and as a public servant it may hurt your more than help you.
**A: if someone posts in the incorrect forum, please do not respond to the post in the wrong forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">