• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my disability lawyer for malpractice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlc7077

California
I would like to know if i can sue my old lawyer for malpractice. I waited 4 years to see a judge in my disability case. in those 4 years i spoke to my attorney only onve before the court date. My case was denied for lack of medical evidence that my ;lawyer failed to turn in. she had turned nothing in since 2016 and we were in court in 2018. AQfter we went in front of judge i was waiting for his response to come in the mail land had moved i called my lawyer gave them my correct address asked if i should call ssdi to give them change of address her office assured me they would do that for me.I never received judges decision it went to my old address i receive a letter at my new address from attorney saying case had been denied and she would no longer be representing me in an appeal. i had one week left to file back did wrong paper work turned it in to late. the case was closed. I went on to hire new attorney who had me approved within 6 months. I lost 4 years of back pay due to that attorney not doing her job right. i suffered emotional and financial loss waiting those 4 years i almost became homeless. Can i sue that attorney for malpractice?

quincy

There is a one-year statute of limitations for filing an attorney malpractice case BUT it can be a challenge determining from what date the one-year period starts.

Here is a link to information from the San Diego County Bar Association:
https://www.sdcba.org/index.cfm?pg=FTR-Apr-2017-2
You can check the State Bar or local Bar for attorneys in your area who can assist you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">