• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my mom for auto loan debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Would a small claims court be able to outline a system of repayment? Like let's say she can't afford to lay down the lump sum so could they say, "you must pay back $300 until the sum of $9000 is fulfilled"? I just want to make sure some bases are clear before I take any steps forward. I truly appreciate your knowledge!
Not in Texas. There are a few states in which a court may impose a payment plan, but from what I can see Texas is not one of them. The court simply hands you a judgment stating she owes you $x. It then is on you to collect it. You could of course let her pay you on installments if you wanted, but the court isn't going to enforce that agreement with contempt sanctions like it would a child support order.

quincy

I recommend you speak to a lawyer in your area and explain to the lawyer how you managed to qualify for the car loan. The car dealer should never have advised that you lie on the loan documents.

In other words, there is more here than a defaulted loan and a potential lawsuit against your mother.

Not in Texas. There are a few states in which a court may impose a payment plan, but from what I can see Texas is not one of them. The court simply hands you a judgment stating she owes you $x. It then is on you to collect it. You could of course let her pay you on installments if you wanted, but the court isn't going to enforce that agreement with contempt sanctions like it would a child support order.
Thank you.

I recommend you speak to a lawyer in your area and explain to the lawyer how you managed to qualify for the car loan. The car dealer should never have advised that you lie on the loan documents.

In other words, there is more here than a defaulted loan and a potential lawsuit against your mother.
Mmmm okay. I think I may do that. I really appreciate you being concise and not being a troll. Much appreciation.

Just Blue

Trolls aren't allowed to post on Free Advice. :)

And Dude? I'm sure you are greatful to me for pointing out the felony so you didn't (literally) get busted in civil court. You're welcome!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Mmmm okay. I think I may do that. I really appreciate you being concise and not being a troll. Much appreciation.
As far as I can tell, no trolls have posted on this thread.
You are (and were in 2014) an adult. You chose to commit fraud and also chose to sit back and do nothing to help yourself in this matter. You could (and should) have dealt with this before you lost your job and definitely long before the car was repossesed. You are now a 26 year old man (give or take)...isn't it time you took responsibility for yourself?

quincy

A good first step for Dude to take is to speak to a Texas attorney to see what legal options are available to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">