• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i sue police department for breaking anonymity laws i wad sworn i would have by same dept?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jp1993

Dealing with a custody issue concerning my daughter. Mother of child i recently found out has been in a relationship with a deputy and good friends with others on the force. I called the department when I was told by mother of child that she would not let me see my daughter again unless shes forced. I contacted department to see what if any options i had. Explained her affiliations, and was told id be called by an officer and was protected by laws to anonymity. Next morning the mother of.my child called and texted me, knowing of conversation and exact details of what was said. What can i do about this? Can i sue? State is nc.

quincy

Dealing with a custody issue concerning my daughter. Mother of child i recently found out has been in a relationship with a deputy and good friends with others on the force. I called the department when I was told by mother of child that she would not let me see my daughter again unless shes forced. I contacted department to see what if any options i had. Explained her affiliations, and was told id be called by an officer and was protected by laws to anonymity. Next morning the mother of.my child called and texted me, knowing of conversation and exact details of what was said. What can i do about this? Can i sue? State is nc.
Can you sue? Not with any chance of success.

Just Blue

Why are you calling the police for legal advice rather than an attorney?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Did you suffer any harm from the disclosure? Did the officer with whom you spoke tell you what privacy law he thought protected you?

quincy

Jp1993 should refer to his custody agreement and seek recourse in the courts (contempt of court).

This does not sound as if it was a matter for the police, despite the new boyfriend being a police officer.

Jp1993

Did you suffer any harm from the disclosure? Did the officer with whom you spoke tell you what privacy law he thought protected you?
mother was angered and then has kept my daughter since. This has all happened fast, and i didnt have an attorney to call. It also occurred on a Saturday so I initially spoke to the dispatch and immediately after was called by the officer. Only reason i contacted them at all was to make sure i wouldn't be arrested if i were to show up at the grandmothers house to get my child. Mother was not with my daughter at the time. The dispatch is who told me i would be protected by law.

quincy

mother was angered and then has kept my daughter since. This has all happened fast, and i didnt have an attorney to call. It also occurred on a Saturday so I initially spoke to the dispatch and immediately after was called by the officer. Only reason i contacted them at all was to make sure i wouldn't be arrested if i were to show up at the grandmothers house to get my child. Mother was not with my daughter at the time. The dispatch is who told me i would be protected by law.
The dispatcher was mistaken.

If you have a custody agreement in place, you will need to address the failure of the mother of your child to follow its terms by filing a contempt of court motion.

The police rarely get involved in these matters.

Just Blue

Blue asked...

To which you replied...

Is that because NC has really well legally educated cops or really bad lawyers?
I had asked for the state as well...but a nano-second after posting I noticed his state in the opening post and did a quick edit.

quincy

Well...you know that was my evil plan all along. Diabolical I am...simply diabolical.
So I have learned over the years. Haha. ;)

Jp1993, because your call to the police concerned the mother of your child, the police would have to speak to her about your complaint. She would not have to be told it was you who called. It would be obvious who called.

Unless there is a police emergency, I suggest you do not call the police about issues involving the mom of your child, now that you know she is personally involved with one of the deputies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">