• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry....since when is a students religion an excuse not to perform the required tasks in school ? I suspect I'm older than many posters...but students have been inventing excuses about PE for as long as there has been PE ......yes, I've seen excused absences from athletic and band. events past sundown on the Friday Sabbath of some religions ....but not required classes
It's not quite that straight-forward. Apparently, adherents are required to fast. Because they are fasting, they are physically weakened, thus unable to perform the physical activity, particularly on a hot day. This makes it a medical concern, not religious. If the child felt weak, the child should have been sent to the nurse's office.

HRZ

I don't think the teacher handled it well....but I don't see it as a legal issue . ...I happen to be a member of a religious group that occassionally gets singled out for comments...it sort of goes by in one ear and out the other ...i chose to pick different points to debate .

quincy

I'm sorry....since when is a students religion an excuse not to perform the required tasks in school ? I suspect I'm older than many posters...but students have been inventing excuses about PE for as long as there has been PE ......yes, I've seen excused absences from athletic and band. events past sundown on the Friday Sabbath of some religions ....but not required classes
I don't think the teacher handled it well....but I don't see it as a legal issue . ...I happen to be a member of a religious group that occassionally gets singled out for comments...it sort of goes by in one ear and out the other ...i chose to pick different points to debate .
An investigation into the teacher's actions will go a long way to determining if there is any legal cause of action.

There is a lot about the incident at the school that was related to us by Mfahoum that is disturbing.

HRZ

I agree if there is a medical concern it's prudent for alternate assignment or nurse .
And some of rhe religious rules regarding menstruation and allowed activities are daunting to others...

I am NOT pro teacher unions....but a few more parents like OP who want teachers fired to get even ...and I'll go support unions and tenure .

Mfahoum

You need to read the constitution. We have a right to practice our religious beliefs first of all. Second of all a make up day could have been appointed. Third he put his hand in my daughters face. Fourth he made fun of Ramadan our religion. 5th he didn’t record her score. Sixth he left students unattended. This is the same ass of a teacher who gave my daughters friend an F for a class because she had an allergic reaction in his class and had to go to the nurse. Thank you for being understanding thought. I guess my daughter not being able to breath and feeling dizzy wasn’t a major concern.

Mfahoum

I agree if there is a medical concern it's prudent for alternate assignment or nurse .
And some of rhe religious rules regarding menstruation and allowed activities are daunting to others...

I am NOT pro teacher unions....but a few more parents like OP who want teachers fired to get even ...and I'll go support unions and tenure .
I am sorry that you are missing the point. He endangers the welfare of children, not just mine but other kids to by leaving them unsupervised and then mocks my doaughters religions and you think he should stay a teacher?

Mfahoum

I am sorry that you are missing the point. He endangers the welfare of children, not just mine but other kids to by leaving them unsupervised and then mocks my daughters religion and you think he should stay a teacher? Not to mention I am not trying to get even. I wanna feel my child is safe at her school and that just because she is a child she is not being mistreated.!

HRZ

I didn't read it as mocking her faith ...but I see where one could interpret it that way ...but none of us, including OP was there so it's really third hand ...I've sat and watched youngsters in HS PE who are supposed to be running ...and doing anything but running ....and the observation that other PE teachers allow other students to sit out the class is not relevant. But OP you are now adding other new things to your post ...and some things that seem to be poor teaching ...poor teaching is not discrimination ....he might be a jerk and leaving students unattended is a red flag ..but neither you nor I were there ...and some teachers are expected to be two places at once and juggle things wo comment ...if teacher was routinely missing from the scene in gym and no other teachers present I'd say that's a problem to investigate by administration ..a safety issue ..My daughters AP English teacher was there only for start of class ...and routinely covered other duties ....lots of dumb things ...but not motivated by religion.

Challenging a student who is not running then stopping the challenge when the student answers can be taken at least two ways. And it's even possible teacher did not know her religion

quincy

Sorry Quincy that was not in reply to you
Good. I don't mind reading the Constitution again but I sort of had other plans for tonight. :)

Many public schools in the country have become, or are becoming, better educated about Ramadan. With this education comes a greater understanding of Muslim students' possible needs during this period.

The PE teacher might be nothing more than ignorant. That could be the best that is said of the teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">