• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I surrender my car without the co-signer ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BiancaB21

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have a car in my name, for someone who I thought was my best friend..

This is what happened.. Originally the dealership said I only needed to be the co-signer, then as were sitting in the chairs, waiting to fill out the paperwork the car salesman switches it up, her credit is too bad to be in her name, my friend gets so upset, starts crying, and asks if I’ll put the car in my name, I felt bad so I did it. (Huge mistake, another lesson learned!) So the car is in my name, and she is the co-signer. We had a verbal agreement that this was only going to be short term, and we would be able to refinance the car in her name in about 6 - 12 months, because she needed to dispute a few things on her credit(her mother used her info when she was a younger). She never followed through with any type of action to try to improve her credit to get the vehicle in her name. Now its going on 2 years, she still has done nothing to fix her credit and it’s just getting worse, she’s always late enough on the payments to make my credit score drop, and now I find out she hasn’t had any insurance, she doesn’t have a license anymore, and now my license is suspended as of today because there is no insurance on the car. I just found all of this out about a week ago (that she had no insurance, and my license was going to be affected). I’ve never driven the vehicle, never made one payment on it, it’s always been in her possession, so I’m not sure if that is enough proof of our verbal contract agreement, but I know the sales people who were there when we got the car were witness to our agreement, and I have text messages, and other witnesses. I just really need some advise on what is best way to handle this. I’m not sure if I need to just file bankruptcy, or do a reposition and surrender the vehicle(I don’t want to anything to do with it anymore she’s not keeping her end of our verbal contract, not keeping up with payments or tickets she’s getting or having insurance and since its in my name I’m getting f.ckd over and i don’t wanna have anymore financial responsibility for someone like her YESTURDAY SHE HAD THE NERVE TO ASK ME TO PUT INSURANCE IN MY NAME TOO!! AND SAID A REAL FRIEND WOULD DO IT.. I THINK SHES REALLY LOST HER MIND AT THIS POINT! NO THANK YOU THATS A WHOLE NOTHER LABILITY & I DONT NEED THAT I LEARNED MY LESSON), or if I can sue her for all of this, because I’m willing to do that, if you think I have enough for a case. I just really don’t want her continued irresponsible decisions to keep hurting me, and I want to do anything at this point for this to be over.
Thank you for your time!!!!! I’m panicking because I don’t know what I can do about this!!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have a car in my name, for someone who I thought was my best friend..

This is what happened.. Originally the dealership said I only needed to be the co-signer, then as were sitting in the chairs, waiting to fill out the paperwork the car salesman switches it up, her credit is too bad to be in her name, my friend gets so upset, starts crying, and asks if I’ll put the car in my name, I felt bad so I did it. (Huge mistake, another lesson learned!) So the car is in my name, and she is the co-signer. We had a verbal agreement that this was only going to be short term, and we would be able to refinance the car in her name in about 6 - 12 months, because she needed to dispute a few things on her credit(her mother used her info when she was a younger). She never followed through with any type of action to try to improve her credit to get the vehicle in her name. Now its going on 2 years, she still has done nothing to fix her credit and it’s just getting worse, she’s always late enough on the payments to make my credit score drop, and now I find out she hasn’t had any insurance, she doesn’t have a license anymore, and now my license is suspended as of today because there is no insurance on the car. I just found all of this out about a week ago (that she had no insurance, and my license was going to be affected). I’ve never driven the vehicle, never made one payment on it, it’s always been in her possession, so I’m not sure if that is enough proof of our verbal contract agreement, but I know the sales people who were there when we got the car were witness to our agreement, and I have text messages, and other witnesses. I just really need some advise on what is best way to handle this. I’m not sure if I need to just file bankruptcy, or do a reposition and surrender the vehicle(I don’t want to anything to do with it anymore she’s not keeping her end of our verbal contract, not keeping up with payments or tickets she’s getting or having insurance and since its in my name I’m getting f.ckd over and i don’t wanna have anymore financial responsibility for someone like her YESTURDAY SHE HAD THE NERVE TO ASK ME TO PUT INSURANCE IN MY NAME TOO!! AND SAID A REAL FRIEND WOULD DO IT.. I THINK SHES REALLY LOST HER MIND AT THIS POINT! NO THANK YOU THATS A WHOLE NOTHER LABILITY & I DONT NEED THAT I LEARNED MY LESSON), or if I can sue her for all of this, because I’m willing to do that, if you think I have enough for a case. I just really don’t want her continued irresponsible decisions to keep hurting me, and I want to do anything at this point for this to be over.
Thank you for your time!!!!! I’m panicking because I don’t know what I can do about this!!
Your liability is actually greater if you do NOT get an insurance policy in your name. You are the owner of the car and if something happens, they are going to come after you. However its an equally big problem that she doesn't have a license and you are letting her drive the car.

However, if she can get a license if you insure the car that might get at least temporary protections in place until you can figure out if there is anything else that you can do.

BiancaB21

I know that’s why I’m trying to end all of this.. :cry:

Im not allowing her to drive the car anymore. After I found out she no longer had insurance, and lost her license, Ive been trying to get the car back. Supposedly she was going to drop it off yesterday, but as of last night she’s now saying she’s “lost” the keys and the tag.. I just want to surrender the vehicle, take the loss, and try to move on, so I’m trying to figure out how to go about this..

BiancaB21

Your liability is actually greater if you do NOT get an insurance policy in your name. You are the owner of the car and if something happens, they are going to come after you. However its an equally big problem that she doesn't have a license and you are letting her drive the car.

However, if she can get a license if you insure the car that might get at least temporary protections in place until you can figure out if there is anything else that you can do.
Also she cant get a license because she has lots of tickets she WONT pay off.. that’s why she lost her license in the first place and cant get insurance in her name. She has turned into a mess of a person and now I’m being dragged down with her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">