• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i take her out of state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bugs mom

What is the name of your state? ohio

i am the mother of a 4yr. her father and i were never married. we have lived togther for a majority of her life. his name IS on the birth certificate. she has his last name.
he is bi-polar, and has been verbally and physically abusive towards me. recentally when he was acting particularily manic and was frightening, i attempted to leave the home with our daughter. he physically blocked me from leaving. i told him he was either going to have to let us leave, or i would call the police. he still wouldnt let us leave. when i made a move towards the phone, he wrestled the both of us down (i was sholding her). she was unharmed.
i attempted to tell him i was wanting to split. that got me pinned to the floor while he cut himself and dripped blood on me. while our daughter watched.
i have never reported any of the abuse (except to my counselor), though there have been marks several times. i once went and picked up the paperwork for a restraining order but did not go through with it.
there is an incident on file in conneticut (sp) he was arrested. not charged with DV, but stemming from a very public incident we had.
he is currentally on a vacation. i had planned on moving out with our daughter while he was gone.
the oppurtunity has arisen for me to move to the western us.
am i allowed to do this? can he file kidnapping charges on me? can he order us, or her back to ohio? do i need to have a outstanding reason to leave the state? ie->a job making much more money etc? what if i were to get married to a man in said state? would that in the courts eyes be a justifiable reason for me to move out of state?
please help. he will be home in a few days. i am moving out regardless. but i am becoming more afraid of his reaction as the time nears. most of the "incidents" have occured when i have attempted to leave, or stated that i wanted to split. i would feel more comfortable several states away.
thank you.....

snostar

If there is no current custody order you are free to move, just realize that Dad can file in Ohio for custody and that is where you will be returning for court appearances.

bugs mom

am i better off to make this move right away, before we enter the court process?
if i wait 6 months, it would be much more difficult wouldn't it?

bugs mom

another question....
can he file an emergency order to make me stay here (ohio)?
he is aware that i do not like living in Ohio, and have wished to move for sometime.

LdiJ

bugs mom said:
another question....
can he file an emergency order to make me stay here (ohio)?
he is aware that i do not like living in Ohio, and have wished to move for sometime.
He could try.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">