• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I talk with my husbands lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rubyxcube

I filed for a green card on my husband’s behalf. He hired a lawyer to take care of the paperwork. We are not talking at the moment. I was wondering if I could call his lawyer and ask him about the process. Would the lawyer have to tell me anything?

quincy

I filed for a green card on my husband’s behalf. He hired a lawyer to take care of the paperwork. We are not talking at the moment. I was wondering if I could call his lawyer and ask him about the process. Would the lawyer have to tell me anything?
No. Your husband's lawyer cannot speak to you about your husband without your husband's permission.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
His lawyer is not obligated to tell you anything. And given the lawyer's duty of confidentiality to his/her client and the lawyer's duty to protect the attorney-client privilege his lawyer really shouldn't tell you anything. Moreover, his client likely wouldn't want the attorney billing him for talking to you when that doesn't advance his interests.

If you simply want general information on the process, there are a lot of online resources for that, or you can contact some other immigration attorney to ask how it works, but be prepared to pay a fee for that.

LdiJ

No. Your husband's lawyer cannot speak to you about your husband without your husband's permission.
While I agree, generally an immigration attorney is going to WANT to speak to the spouse. Generally speaking to the spouse is going to be quite important to the attorney.

Why do you want to speak to the attorney about the process? What is currently going on?

quincy

While I agree, generally an immigration attorney is going to WANT to speak to the spouse. Generally speaking to the spouse is going to be quite important to the attorney.

Why do you want to speak to the attorney about the process? What is currently going on?
It will be up to the husband whether his lawyer says anything to Rubyxcube.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
While I agree, generally an immigration attorney is going to WANT to speak to the spouse.
The attorney may want to speak to the spouse to GET information from the spouse. But DISCLOSING information to the spouse is quite another matter, and that is what the OP is asking about.

quincy

The attorney may want to speak to the spouse to GET information from the spouse. But DISCLOSING information to the spouse is quite another matter, and that is what the OP is asking about.
Thank you, Taxing Matters. Perhaps that information will be accepted coming from you. ;)

t74

Do you want to withdraw your support for his GC? Is the filing on the basis of your marriage?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

The attorney can speak to the SPOUSE and gain information. The Spouse is not permitted to gain information from the attorney. I gave you more credit than that that you weren't that stupid LD.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
If you've signed an I-864, I think you should consider consulting an immigration lawyer (not his) and see if there is still time to withdraw your application. Why get stuck having any responsibility for a person who won't even talk to you?

There's more than one immigration lawyer in your state, and any immigration lawyer can answer general questions during a consult.

If you have reason that your husband entered the marriage fraudulently - that he was only using you for a green card, and not actually making a life with you, then you should retain a lawyer for yourself. Please have an initial consult with more than one lawyer before retaining one.

You should also consider divorce.

Reactions: t74

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">