• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I terminate my employment contract without giving the listed 90 day notice? Veterinarian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

owensma

Hello,

I am a veterinarian in Oregon looking to resign from my current position due to a bad work environment and being required to work at other hospital locations I was not initially hired for and not listed on my contract.

My employment contract states I shall give 90 written notice but the LLC reserves the right to not schedule me for work during that time. If the LLC does not state the consequences for me giving less then 90 days, do they have any legal recourse? I signed my contract back in November 2014 and it stated it was viable until termination.

Here is one of two passages about termination in my contract (other is LLC to the Doctor):

“The giving of written notice of termination by the Doctor to the LLC, with or without cause. The effective date of such termination shall be 90 days following the giving of such notice; provided, however, that the LLC shall have the right to not schedule Doctor to perform services hereunder during such period;”

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

quincy

Hello,

I am a veterinarian in Oregon looking to resign from my current position due to a bad work environment and being required to work at other hospital locations I was not initially hired for and not listed on my contract.

My employment contract states I shall give 90 written notice but the LLC reserves the right to not schedule me for work during that time. If the LLC does not state the consequences for me giving less then 90 days, do they have any legal recourse? I signed my contract back in November 2014 and it stated it was viable until termination.

Here is one of two passages about termination in my contract (other is LLC to the Doctor):

“The giving of written notice of termination by the Doctor to the LLC, with or without cause. The effective date of such termination shall be 90 days following the giving of such notice; provided, however, that the LLC shall have the right to not schedule Doctor to perform services hereunder during such period;”

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!
Contracts need to be read in their entirety to be understood. For a contract analysis, you will need to see an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction for a personal review. Contract review and analysis is considered the practice of law and goes beyond the scope of this forum.

Generally speaking, though, nothing can prevent you from leaving your place of employ whenever you want to, with or without advance notice to your employer.

adjusterjack

I am a veterinarian in Oregon looking to resign from my current position due to a bad work environment
Just out of curiosity, what do you call a bad work environment?

If the LLC does not state the consequences for me giving less then 90 days, do they have any legal recourse?
Of course they do. They can sue you for whatever your breach of contract costs them. That recourse need not be written into the contract because it's a common law remedy.

being required to work at other hospital locations I was not initially hired for and not listed on my contract.
Nor do work locations have to be specified in the contract as long as there is nothing in the contract limiting your duties to one location.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">