• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I trademark my first and last name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
(Washington state)

Without going into specifics, it's the only one of its kind in the US, and fewer than 3 in the world. I am also very well known professionally in my industry (something mainstream, not entertainment of any kind). Think law, tech, medicine, academia.

If I could do this, how would I go about it for best success rate? Understand the application process, I'm actually filling it out on legalzoom.com. I will probably consult with an attorney in person about this as well if I get indicators that this is possible.

Advice very much appreciated.
Why the keen interest in making your name a trademark? It does not sound like you have a strong interest in doing business and only would form the LLC as a way to try to get the trademark. What good do you think having a trademark will do other than protecting your business from having others use the name in the same area of business? As quincy points out, generally people's names make weak trademarks and it takes a lot of work to build that into a strong protectable mark. If you are really interested in a good trademark, pick a very distinctive name for the business that is not the name of person. I understand that some people like slapping their own name on their business, but they usually aren't thinking about trademark issues when they do it. If they did, they'd likely pick something else.

quincy

There absolutely will be. Billing invoices for services rendered, that kind of thing. Thank you SO much!!
You're welcome, silentscope. I appreciate the thanks.

I still recommend you review your specific plans with an IP professional in your area.

Good luck.

quincy

Well, after reading all this I guess trademark protection for "adjusterjack" is not in the cards. :cry:
Sure seems that way.

One comment on what Taxing Matters said: Although I agree that having a unique trademark is generally best, it not only appears from what has been said that silentscope's personal name has a uniqueness, silentscope also apparently has some name recognition in his field that can help him build his brand faster.

In his case, in other words, using a personal name as a service identifier could make more sense.

Last edited:

silentscope

Why the keen interest in making your name a trademark? It does not sound like you have a strong interest in doing business and only would form the LLC as a way to try to get the trademark. What good do you think having a trademark will do other than protecting your business from having others use the name in the same area of business? As quincy points out, generally people's names make weak trademarks and it takes a lot of work to build that into a strong protectable mark. If you are really interested in a good trademark, pick a very distinctive name for the business that is not the name of person. I understand that some people like slapping their own name on their business, but they usually aren't thinking about trademark issues when they do it. If they did, they'd likely pick something else.
My reasons are personal and very valid. Sorry I can not expand any further.

quincy

My reasons are personal and very valid. Sorry I can not expand any further.
There is no need to expand and, quite frankly, publishing too much information on a public forum is not smart. :)

You would, however, benefit from having a trademark attorney personally review the actual name you will be using to identify your services to see if there are issues with its use that cannot be determined in a forum setting.

silentscope

There is no need to expand and, quite frankly, publishing too much information on a public forum is not smart. :)

You would, however, benefit from having a trademark attorney personally review the actual name you will be using to identify your services to see if there are issues with its use that cannot be determined in a forum setting.
As always you're right :). I left messages for 2. What the forum gave me was great starting points, for which I'm very grateful. Thank you!!

quincy

As always you're right :). I left messages for 2. What the forum gave me was great starting points, for which I'm very grateful. Thank you!!
Haha. I am not exactly always right :) ... but I appreciate the nice words.

And we all appreciate the thanks. I am happy we were able to provide a starting point from which you can explore further your trademark use and application.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">