• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I use Facebook for blocking my account, please read.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

If you are getting blocked from posting on just a particular user’s page that is not done by Facebook (FB), that is done by that other user and there is nothing you can do about that. The other user may block you from his/her page at any time for any reason. If you are blocked from using YOUR account, that is done by FB.

The First Amendment is a limitation on the actions of government, not private persons or entities like FB. Also, there is no requirement in the law that a business must treat every customer the same. All the law says is that a place of public accommodation (which includes most businesses, though there is some debate to the extent online businesses are places of public accommodation) cannot discriminate against customers based on characteristics like race, color, religion, disability, etc. A business may treat you differently from other customers because it does not like what you say.

If you want to stay on FB, avoid posting things that anger or offend others. FB is under increasing pressure from the social justice crowd to police the posts that appear on its site so I expect FB will, if anything, get more active in removing posts and blocking users in the future. Try using a rule I learned growing up: if you have nothing nice to say about someone else, just say nothing at all.
Lawsuits WERE considered against Facebook over what was seen as discriminatory policies, which prevented some individuals from registering on the site due to their "unusual" legal names. Native Americans, for example, were not allowed to open accounts using their real names because Facebook filters and other users flagged the names as fake.

Facebook has since changed its registration policies to allow for those with unusual real names to open accounts with proof of identity - but problems have persisted (although the lawsuits haven't).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">