• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I use the Losses in Stocks to offset gains made in flipping a house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

virs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

State NC

I own 3 rental properties.

I bought a house at a foreclosure auction in January 08, fixed and sold it in May 08. I bought this property with the intent to sell (not to rent). I made a decent profit during this transaction.

I plan to bailout of stock market before end of this year and will take a loss on my stock market investment. Will I be able to use the losses in the stock market to offset the gains I made in flipping the house?

Is there any links where this type of topic has been discussed?

Appreciate some help..

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

State NC

I own 3 rental properties.

I bought a house at a foreclosure auction in January 08, fixed and sold it in May 08. I bought this property with the intent to sell (not to rent). I made a decent profit during this transaction.

I plan to bailout of stock market before end of this year and will take a loss on my stock market investment. Will I be able to use the losses in the stock market to offset the gains I made in flipping the house?

Is there any links where this type of topic has been discussed?

Appreciate some help..
Basically yes, capital gains are offset by capital losses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">