• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can judgement statute of limitations be re-newed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lars

In the state of GA, I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations for a FOREIGN JUDGEMENT is 5 years.....my question is, can that be extended through the courts, and if so, how long?
Second question, again, is about the limitation of exempt personal holdings:
In GA, is there a minimum that is exempt from siezure/lien etc. specifically, bank accounts/cash? Say if my wife has $100 in her checking acct. can that be seized to add towards satisfying a $12,000 foreign judgement?
Thank you very much in advance for the help.

ALawyer

Do not know GA law, but typically an out of state judgment must be sued on and then entered as a local judgment in your state.

States do have exemptions that apply in a bankruptcy (Federal) or state insolvency proceeding, but I do not know GA's. Look on FreeAdvice under state resources.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">