• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can landlord keep deposit if asked to leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NutbshCity

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Can landlord keep deposit if asked to leave?

I rented a room from a landlord in a home on a month to month basis.
I told him I'd only be there 1-2 months depending on my work situation. He knew I did not have a job. 2 weeks goes by and I told him I wanted to leave at the end of the month and he demanded a 30 days notice. I told him I would give him 30days notice today and I'd pay for an extra 2 weeks but he demanded a full months payment.

I inform him I won't be able to pay for next months (due to unexpected bills) rent and he asked me to leave and said he would be giving me back my deposit in 30 days. Then 5 mins later he says I violated the contract and will be keeping my deposit. I left within an hour asked him again for my deposit and he refused said he was going to keep it. He sent me an email explaining he was keeping the deposit because I failed to pay him for next month and did not give him 30 days notice.

I had him review the room and returned the key and left.

Everything that happened was all verbal , he never evicted me on paper just asked me to leave. I never signed any lease on paper. The only thing I have signed is the receipts for one month and a receipt for a refundable deposit. I also have a copy of the check I gave him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">