• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can landlord keep full security deposit without checklist in Washington ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

testQuestion1

Hi,
My previous landlord has kept full the security deposit $1300. They did not do any move-in checklist and they did not even notify me where they kept the deposit. They did not share any receipts of how they are using my full deposit except some random illogical integer numbers which don't contain any cent value and they sent it just after of 2 hours I moved out. This is what they have sent - Countertop material cost: $400, Labor cost:$800, Vent filted:$100. After 21 days, should I file a case in small claims court ? Is checklist mandatory ? I read couple of articles and it looks like it's mandatory. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you !

Stephen1

Look at RCW 59.18.260. It talks about "checklist or statement". So you need to look at what you received when you moved in to decide whether a judge might construe it as a "statement" as you indicate you never received a checklist. Also, it talks about the "prevailing party". I take that to mean you would have to go to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">