• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can leave time be taken away?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apachebow

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?

I live in Arizona. The employee handbook states that upon resignation all accrued sick and personal leave shall be forfeited by the employee. Is this legal? I know I will be leaving within a month or 2 but do not want to turn in my resignation because I will lose all of my time. :confused:

Beth3

Is this legal? Yep. No States require that paid personal or paid sick time be paid to a departing employee. Arizona doesn't require unused vacation be paid out either.

apachebow

leave may not be paid, but can it be used

I'm in Arizona.

To clarify my previous question, the way the handbook is worded, it seems as if accured time will be lost, that is you cannot take any more leave time upon resignation. I understand about not being paid for unused time .

pattytx

Apache, I agree that the wording could be better, but I doubt that is what they meant. You can always ask HR. But think about it. Do you really want to stay there if that were true? And even if it were, why would that stop you from leaving. If you are really set on resigning, and you have read the handbook the way they meant it, you're better off going now than going later, since you would have nothing to lose.

Good Luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
IF that is indeed what they meant, that you cannot take any time after you have given notice, yes, it is legal.

Think about it. The purpose of your giving notice at all is to smooth the transition. How can you do that if you're not there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">