• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can minor sanctions from a community college end up on my transcripts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hi,
I'm a full time college student. I have a clean record, with I think two speeding tickets in my life (I'm 25). I've never gotten in any type of formal--or informal for that matter--trouble at school before. However, A professor I had at the beginning of the year reported that I may of violated the student conduct code at my school for saying this, “Good luck with the rest of your career and destroying my GPA. You understand exactly what I’m saying”. It was an online class and I have dozens of fine conversations with him through out the quarter. He has horrible reviews online will no respect from his students. His ratings make him an outlier. This is what I meant in the statement, which I'm sure he is aware of. My concern is something ending up on my transcripts if I end up applying to graduate school. I'm an honors student that's been recognized every quarter if that matters. I'm an undergrad entering my Junior year and transferring to Uni in Autumn. I'm in Washington state. This is part of the email:

As outlined in the Student Code of Conduct, WAC 132Z-115- 043, I am scheduling a disciplinary meeting with you. The purpose of this meeting will be to:

· Review the conduct and resolution process and answer any questions you may have;
· Allow you to provide your perspective on what happened; and
· Discuss the charges and possible sanctions in the event that you are found responsible for violating the Code.

Is there a possibility of this ending up on my transcripts?

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

You've come to the wrong place asking that question. I doubt if anybody here can even guess what your school would put on your transcript unless somebody has actually attended your school, got a transcript, and found something other than courses and grades on it.

quincy

Hi,
I'm a full time college student. I have a clean record, with I think two speeding tickets in my life (I'm 25). I've never gotten in any type of formal--or informal for that matter--trouble at school before. However, A professor I had at the beginning of the year reported that I may of violated the student conduct code at my school for saying this, “Good luck with the rest of your career and destroying my GPA. You understand exactly what I’m saying”. It was an online class and I have dozens of fine conversations with him through out the quarter. He has horrible reviews online will no respect from his students. His ratings make him an outlier. This is what I meant in the statement, which I'm sure he is aware of. My concern is something ending up on my transcripts if I end up applying to graduate school. I'm an honors student that's been recognized every quarter if that matters. I'm an undergrad entering my Junior year and transferring to Uni in Autumn. I'm in Washington state. This is part of the email:

As outlined in the Student Code of Conduct, WAC 132Z-115- 043, I am scheduling a disciplinary meeting with you. The purpose of this meeting will be to:

· Review the conduct and resolution process and answer any questions you may have;
· Allow you to provide your perspective on what happened; and
· Discuss the charges and possible sanctions in the event that you are found responsible for violating the Code.

Thank you for the help.
It sounds like you threatened your professor and questioned his professional ethics with your statements.

You might be smart to have an attorney with you at your disciplinary hearing.

It sounds like you threatened your professor and questioned his professional ethics with your statements.

You might be smart to have an attorney with you at your disciplinary hearing.
You really think that sounds like a threat? He has dozens and dozens of negative reviews. His rating is close to 1 out of 5. I talked to him many times, I send him that and it could be constituted as a threat?

Thanks for the replies

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
“Good luck with the rest of your career and destroying my GPA. You understand exactly what I’m saying”. What part of that ISN'T a threat?

quincy

You really think that sounds like a threat? He has dozens and dozens of negative reviews. His rating is close to 1 out of 5. I talked to him many times, I send him that and it could be constituted as a threat?

Thanks for the replies
Yes. I think what you wrote sounds like a threat. I also think it could be viewed as defamatory.

That is why I think you would benefit from having an attorney with you at the disciplinary hearing.

Good luck.

CdwJava

Sanctions can be almost anything. As adjusterjack mentioned, it is unlikely that anyone can say what may or may not appear on a transcript without having actually attended your school and seen something other than grades and courses.

On the face of it, I'd say that your email sounds threatening. As such, it might very well violate some student code of conduct.

Hopefully you have recommendations from other professors for your grad school application. But, depending on the school and the course of study, you may need more than just recommendations. When I went to grad school, I needed a number of recommendations and had to fill out an application which also included questions about any student disciplinary actions (of which I had none).

And I agree with the others that an attorney might be a good idea. Especially if grad school is a definite desire in your future.

Sanctions can be almost anything. As adjusterjack mentioned, it is unlikely that anyone can say what may or may not appear on a transcript without having actually attended your school and seen something other than grades and courses.

On the face of it, I'd say that your email sounds threatening. But, it might very well violate some student code of conduct.

Hopefully you have recommendations from other professors for your grad school application. But, depending on the school and the course of study, you may need more than just recommendations. When I went to grad school, I needed a number of recommendations and had to fill out an application which also included questions about any student disciplinary actions (of which I had none).

And I agree with the others that an attorney might be a good idea. Especially if grad school is a definite desire in your future.
This is why I find it ridiculous. I'm a good student who gets a long fine in the community, with students, and professors. I have never been accused of threatening someone. However, if that what it sounds like to you guys, I'll take your word for it and take it seriously. I already have had a handful say they would write a letter of recommendation. I have some from work too. It's just a possibility, but I definitely don't want to shut the door with this.

quincy

I definitely would take the matter seriously. That the statements you made were out-of-character can work in your favor but you have to watch what you say during the hearing. Your attorney can guide you.

Good luck.

CdwJava

Of course, being that this is a community college, it may play out for very little down the road. What grades are and professors have to say while finishing your BA or BS will have the greater impact.

quincy

Of course, being that this is a community college, it may play out for very little down the road. What grades are and professors have to say while finishing your BA or BS will have the greater impact.
It can affect a transfer.

quincy

I have seen comments written by universities on the bottom of transcripts before.

One of our applicants, for example, submitted his application with a sealed transcript (as we required) and scrawled by the university at the bottom of the transcript were the words "poor scholarship."

Based on that, I can imagine any disciplinary action taken by a school against a student also could be noted.

Again, I would consider the disciplinary hearing important and take an attorney with you.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">