• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Misdemeanor B (speeding more than 25 miles) impact my VISA status?, in my VISA stamping interview or in Port of Entry?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sumit_tumba, traffic offenses generally are not crimes of moral turpitude and (as a rule) would not affect your Visa.

But these are odd times we are living in and any violation of ANY law can be a problem.

I suggest you consult with an immigration attorney. This probably should have been a step taken back in June when you first posted here.

Thanks [B]quincy[/B] , For the reply. That really helps, I spoke to 2 immigration lawyers and both said MOSTLY it will NOT impact, it SHOULD NOT. But making sure once again, before taking any final call.

Thanks again.

quincy

Thanks [B]quincy[/B] , For the reply. That really helps, I spoke to 2 immigration lawyers and both said MOSTLY it will NOT impact, it SHOULD NOT. But making sure once again, before taking any final call.

Thanks again.
I agree with the immigration attorneys you consulted. It "should not" affect your Visa. But, seriously, today there are no longer any rules that can be relied on.

Good luck.

HRZ

I disagree...the crime in question to which she plead guilty involves the prospect of jail time , it is not a " simple " speeding ticket of say 5 over the limit. and the facts surrounding her crime involved placing an infant at risk ( and quite well others ) and apparently this was no short term violation like missing a stop sign , she failed to stop for a good time/distance .

The list OP posted is not exhaustive nor state specific

quincy

I disagree...the crime in question to which she plead guilty involves the prospect of jail time , it is not a " simple " speeding ticket of say 5 over the limit. and the facts surrounding her crime involved placing an infant at risk ( and quite well others ) and apparently this was no short term violation like missing a stop sign , she failed to stop for a good time/distance .

I agree the list posted by sumit_tumba was not exhaustive.

That said, a speeding ticket (even a misdemeanor speeding ticket) would not generally affect Visa status.

It needs to be reported honestly, but I stand by my answer.

Of course, my answer said that in today's climate, any violation of ANY law is problematic. ;)

I thing I dont understand is - those are just charges which I am not convicted, why still those be put in consideration as those are dismissed by court.

quincy

I thing I dont understand is - those are just charges which I am not convicted, why still those be put in consideration as those are dismissed by court.
You need to worry about the conviction. You will need to answer questions about your arrest and charges.

Just Blue

So You are saying even though I am not convicted with child endangerment, but just because I am charged, i have a high chance of visa rejection.
No. I didn't say that. It likely won't have any effect on your status. I just personally find it deplorable that anyone would drive like an idiot with kids in the car.

No. I didn't say that. It likely won't have any effect on your status. I just personally find it deplorable that anyone would drive like an idiot with kids in the car.
Appreciate for your concern about my kid. I am not a irresponsible person. You don't know the situation and background of the whole event.
I was not an experienced driver, I had an old 2006 car, and to drop someone to catch a flight I was driving a rental car which was a brand new 2018 Chevy Impala. I was never used to drive such a car. Where in my car I had to press accelerator hard, this car was so powerful and smooth , and kind of soundproof from any outside noise. And I ended up driving more than 90/60.
But I accept whatever the situation may be this speeding can't be justified. And since that day I have never drove more than 77/78 on 70. Mostly between 70-73 range. But I don't want this one mistake that I did by ignorance to spoil my career, and rest of life.

I agree the list posted by sumit_tumba was not exhaustive.

That said, a speeding ticket (even a misdemeanor speeding ticket) would not generally affect Visa status.

It needs to be reported honestly, but I stand by my answer.

Of course, my answer said that in today's climate, any violation of ANY law is problematic. ;)
Thanks a lot, for the time you took to reply with best of your knowledge and concern. I really appreciate.

quincy

Thanks a lot, for the time you took to reply with best of your knowledge and concern. I really appreciate.
You're welcome, sumit_tumba. I appreciate the thanks.

An immigration attorney in your area should be able to provide you with a better idea of what your conviction will mean to your Visa status.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Appreciate for your concern about my kid. I am not a irresponsible person. You don't know the situation and background of the whole event.
I was not an experienced driver, I had an old 2006 car, and to drop someone to catch a flight I was driving a rental car which was a brand new 2018 Chevy Impala. I was never used to drive such a car. Where in my car I had to press accelerator hard, this car was so powerful and smooth , and kind of soundproof from any outside noise. And I ended up driving more than 90/60.
But I accept whatever the situation may be this speeding can't be justified. And since that day I have never drove more than 77/78 on 70. Mostly between 70-73 range. But I don't want this one mistake that I did by ignorance to spoil my career, and rest of life.
Your excuses and attempt to lessen the severity of what you did actually make you come across as less responsible. You were driving an unfamiliar vehicle and should have been paying more attention, not less.

quincy

The important thing will be for sumit_tumba to be honest in his answers.

sumit_tumba will have a place to explain the arrest and all charges. And he probably would be well-advised not to minimize or excuse the offenses but to stick strictly to the facts.

That said, so much depends on the particular agent in charge so what decision will be made is going to be a question mark. It is a bit of a fingers-crossed time.

Correct. Doesn't change the fact.
But does this really qualify child endangerment ? Every person speeding, with child in the car, can be charged with child endangerment?
Every drunk driver I arrested that had a kid in the car got charged with child endangerment.
What sort of visa do you have?

Your excuses and attempt to lessen the severity of what you did actually make you come across as less responsible. You were driving an unfamiliar vehicle and should have been paying more attention, not less.
What I said, all were the fact, nothing made up for excuse. Hope, you didn't make any mistake in your life, God is kind on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">