• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can mom take child back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My daughter signed over custody to my husband and I 4 years ago. We had the baby most of the time soon after she was born but had it made legal just before she turned 2. She is now 6. It is legal custody awarded by the court based on her voluntary signing it over. She has mental health issues and was a young teen mom. Father was not involved and is not on bc.
Now she feels she is able to take care of her and wants us to give her back. She lives with her father and step mother and has a job. She has always had an open door to see the child and even had her most of the summer. But I don't know if she is ready for full time motherhood. She communicates with the child but not so much with us. Can she get custody back? Would it be up to us or would she have to file with the courts? I don't know if it is in the best interests of my granddaughter to go back full time. I want to do what is best for her. I don't want to let her go she is like my own child. I even cut the cord at her birth. But I want to do what is best for her. I just don't know where to go for help with this one.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My daughter signed over custody to my husband and I 4 years ago. We had the baby most of the time soon after she was born but had it made legal just before she turned 2. She is now 6. It is legal custody awarded by the court based on her voluntary signing it over. She has mental health issues and was a young teen mom. Father was not involved and is not on bc.
Now she feels she is able to take care of her and wants us to give her back. She lives with her father and step mother and has a job. She has always had an open door to see the child and even had her most of the summer. But I don't know if she is ready for full time motherhood. She communicates with the child but not so much with us. Can she get custody back? Would it be up to us or would she have to file with the courts? I don't know if it is in the best interests of my granddaughter to go back full time. I want to do what is best for her. I don't want to let her go she is like my own child. I even cut the cord at her birth. But I want to do what is best for her. I just don't know where to go for help with this one.
She would have to go back to court and yes, it is possible that she could get custody back. Also if you never served the putative father or did a John Doe posting, then technically you didn't legally get custody.

LdiJ

Is the custody court ordered? (did a judge sign off on it) and is it specifically termed "custody" rather than "guardianship"?

You said that she had the child the majority of the summer, how did that go?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">