• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can mother take me back to court to get me to pay for private school.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strongbus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine.

Ok I am the NCP. EX is CP. We have 2 kids. There is nothing in the divorce papers bout splitting school cost. Only the amount for CS and that we are to split any medical bills not covered by insurance 50/50, and that we are to split the cost of transporting the kids for my visits. Papers do say that while I have full access to school records and stuff my ex does not have to get my ok anything dealing with school stuff. This was done so if the kids wanted to do school sports or after school clubs or such she wouldn't have to deal with having to send me paperwork to sign form the school

Ex has a child with a long term boyfriend. They decide that instead of public school they where going send the child to a private school. They gave each of my kids the choose if they wanted to go or not. My oldest said no but the youngest said yes she wanted to go. S0 starting next school year my ex wants to let my daughter go to the private school. She will be in 6th grade. Based on the website for the school its 4,500 a year not counting some other fees this includes the cost of school books and goes up form there to end with 12th grade being 12,000 a year not counting the cost of books.

My ex for years has complained and said that there is something in the paper work bout splitting school cost. I know there is not as a couple years ago the oldest hit the age where in Maine the amount per week for a child goes up. I went threw a free legal aid center in my area and had them look at the paperwork. they even agreed there is nothing in it.

Can my ex try and take me back to court to have me help pay for the private school? I have medical issues that while not enough to get me on ssdi are enough for my doc to order that I work no more then 24 hours in a week. My take home after tax and what I pay now for CS for the 2 kids a month(which is 268 a month) is bout $600(rest of household income comes form current wife ssdi and step-sons ssi). I have some other issues with the private school but unless I want to try and change the order to give me say in school stuff I can't say that she can't go But if the judge order me to say why I don't like this private school I would not be surprised to get a butt chewing form the judge.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She can try, but would not likely be successful without you agreeing to it.

LdiJ

She can try, but would not likely be successful without you agreeing to it.
I agree. It is clear that you cannot afford private school and its perfectly ok to tell the judge that you simply cannot afford it.

strongbus

thanks all. I do what I can to help out with school stuff like helping get the normal stuff each year(paper/pens/etc). But it don't seem enough. My ex complains enough that I am not following the order cause while she has to do both round trips for the visit I don't. I make one trip but cause my brother doesn't have his DL my parents do the round trip for his kids the pick up for them is like 20 mins form the pickup for mine. So they say where they go down there on those weeks anyways they will do one trip. EX said sense that means i am not paying for half transporting them for visit. That and she said the CS is not enough cause she has to use in her words half of it each month just to pay for gas just to do the 4 trips up and back to get for the visits.

Zigner

thanks all. I do what I can to help out with school stuff like helping get the normal stuff each year(paper/pens/etc). But it don't seem enough. My ex complains enough that I am not following the order cause while she has to do both round trips for the visit I don't. I make one trip but cause my brother doesn't have his DL my parents do the round trip for his kids the pick up for them is like 20 mins form the pickup for mine. So they say where they go down there on those weeks anyways they will do one trip. EX said sense that means i am not paying for half transporting them for visit. That and she said the CS is not enough cause she has to use in her words half of it each month just to pay for gas just to do the 4 trips up and back to get for the visits.
This really doesn't make sense...but if you're required to do half of the transportation and you are not, then she may be able to make an argument for an adjustment in CS.

LdiJ

Your ex is being a big baby about the transportation as far as I am concerned. She only has to provide 1/2 of the transportation. It should be no skin off her teeth if your family is helping you with your 1/2.

Zigner

Your ex is being a big baby about the transportation as far as I am concerned. She only has to provide 1/2 of the transportation. It should be no skin off her teeth if your family is helping you with your 1/2.
The post wasn't entirely clear if this is exactly what is going on. If that's the case, then I agree. The order says he's responsible for it and he's taking care of it.

strongbus

Yes that is what is going on. its a total of 4 round trips each month to pickup/drop off the kids. Bout 50 miles each way. For each weekend visit its is a 200 mile total in 2 trips. She just mad that while she has to make all 4 round trips for 400 miles each month, I only have to bout 200 miles each month. But only cause my parents have to go down near the meeting place the same weeks/days anyway. Then again if my parents can't make the trip I do both for the week. All we agreed on when the paperwork said that we had to split it was that we would set a meeting point half way between us.

LdiJ

Yes that is what is going on. its a total of 4 round trips each month to pickup/drop off the kids. Bout 50 miles each way. For each weekend visit its is a 200 mile total in 2 trips. She just mad that while she has to make all 4 round trips for 400 miles each month, I only have to bout 200 miles each month. But only cause my parents have to go down near the meeting place the same weeks/days anyway. Then again if my parents can't make the trip I do both for the week. All we agreed on when the paperwork said that we had to split it was that we would set a meeting point half way between us.
Like I said, she is being a big baby about that one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">