• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my american son be moved to Peru without my consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Texas

My ex-fiance is Peruvian, and I am wondering if by any law, american or peruvian, is he allowed to leave the country without my consent. My fear is he will take my child and leave him/her there.


Under the Radar Member
For starters, is this child just yours? Or yours & your ex-fiance's? If the latter - has paternity been proven, and is there a custody/visitation order?


Senior Member
In addition to 'momma_tigers' valid questions, I add that if there is a valid concern that your 'ex' could flee out of country, do NOT let the situation arise where it could happen. The process of trying to recover children removed from the U.S. jurisdiction is both expensive and time consuming.... that is when it works.

Simply, do not allow him unsupervised 'custody' of the child unless provided by a court ruling. And if a court ruling exists, I suggest you contact an attorney about a compliance bond or some other provision to minimize the chance of flight.


Senior Member
"can" and "will" are two different things. Legally he is not "allowed" to remove the child from the country without your permission if you have legal custody (be it sole or joint) of him BUT people break the law all the time and this is especially true in cases of custody. You MUST make sure that he does NOT remove the child from this country! Many foreign parents take their American born children to the coutnry of their (the parent's) origin and then it becomes extremely complicated to get the child back on American soil because it becomes a case of international law and the US custody order is rarely honored by foreign nation's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential