• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my company sue me to recover relocation expenses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sqeng69

I live in Maine, not sure if that makes a difference. Here is the story. I started 18 months ago and my company paid to move me here (around 18k). In the offer letter, they stated that if I were to leave the company prior to July 08, I would have to reimburse them for the full relocation costs. I can't recall if I signed it or not, but I don't think so. I really can't stand this company and want to leave.

The question is, can they sue me for this? I would think it would be hard to enforce because it basically equates to indentured servitude. Then again, i took the job knowing their stance. And does the fact of whether I signed or not have anything to do with it? Please help!! I'm desperate!What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

I live in Maine, not sure if that makes a difference. Here is the story. I started 18 months ago and my company paid to move me here (around 18k). In the offer letter, they stated that if I were to leave the company prior to July 08, I would have to reimburse them for the full relocation costs. I can't recall if I signed it or not, but I don't think so. I really can't stand this company and want to leave.

The question is, can they sue me for this?
of course they can.
I would think it would be hard to enforce because it basically equates to indentured servitude.
think again.
Then again, i took the job knowing their stance. And does the fact of whether I signed or not have anything to do with it?
depends on the totality of the contract.
Please help!! I'm desperate!What is the name of your state?
if you are that desperate suck it up for another 18 months.

ecmst12

You can take a copy of the agreement you signed to a local employment attorney and ask them if it is enforceable.

mjcrules

Agree with suggestion of reviewing the ability of the Co. to enforce....have seen and been a party to many relocation contracts, and have never seen one that has a provision for employee reimbursement of Co. paid "moving" expenses of more than 1 year or 12 months. The agreement for this type of Co. paid is typically contained in the Employee Employment agreement (and typically is reserved for a high level of employee) which covers vacation, starting salary, holidays, confidentiality, etc. If the Co. paid 18K to relocate you, I am confident you were provided with a similar document. Go to the HR dept. and ask for a copy, saying you misplaced yours in the move. :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
it basically equates to indentured servitude

Oh, does it really? You have the right to leave at any time you like; there may be consequences to doing so, but there isn't a force in the world that can make you stay there a second longer than you choose to. At worst, you have to reimburse them for the relocation, but you can leave any time you like.

Slaves did not have any options at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">