• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my cousin get a time reduction on probation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pedro619

my cousin got caught with a gun in Chicago with no foid card and was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm. He is serving a 3 month sentence right now and paid a 2500 dollar fine. He started his sentence on September first so he has served almost two months now. My question is can he get out early with good behavior and be on probation and if so how much time can he get off his sentence.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Those are great questions for him to ask his attorney.

He's only got 5 weeks to go - he may wish to just stick it out.

Just Blue

my cousin got caught with a gun in Chicago with no foid card and was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm. He is serving a 3 month sentence right now and paid a 2500 dollar fine. He started his sentence on September first so he has served almost two months now. My question is can he get out early with good behavior and be on probation and if so how much time can he get off his sentence.
HE should ask his attorney.

quincy

I don't think your cousin will be released early.

With an "unlawful possession of a firearm" conviction, he was subject to up to a year in jail, along with the $2500 fine. It appears his attorney worked to get him only 3 months.

When he is released, he could be on probation for two years.

Here is a link to the law:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-3.1

Although I think an early release is unlikely, your cousin can ask his attorney about the chances of an early release. As mentioned by others, his attorney is in a better position to know than any of us are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">