• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex's parents claim my kids?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HoodoVoodoo

My ex and I have been divorced for 3 years and she is the custodial parent. In our divorce decree it states that we need to come to an agreement about who can file the children on their taxes. Needless to say my ex refuses because she says her parents claim them even though my ex is the one who supports them in a different residence. My ex makes too much to receive earned income credit so she is allowing her parents to claim them so they can get more money back. I live in texas and want to know if that is legal. And if it isn't what can i do about it? One other thing, on any legal documents my ex states that the children live with her parents but they don't. Please tell me if I can bust them!!!

[Edited by HoodoVoodoo on 02-03-2001 at 12:03 PM]

L

loku

Exemption deductions

It sounds like your ex is entitled to the deductions on her return because she is the custodial parent, and in cases of divorce, unless an exception applies, the custodial parent is entitled to the deduction. And from what you say, none of the exceptions apply. Since she is entitled to the deductions, it is not legal for her parents to claim them.

You can report this to the IRS; however, it would then become a matter of proof of where the children live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">