• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my father force me to sign a document as witness for something that didnt actually happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Im in California, SAN DIEGO, i am a permanent resident, my father is a US citizen and my mother is a permanent resident. My father is forcing me and threating me to sign as a witness a form called : SUPPLEMENT TO CLAIM OF PERSON OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES, stating that my mother lived in the united states for over 6 years (which she didnt) and he is saying that there will be "consequences" if i dont sign it, so it is basically a threat. so my question is... do i actually need to sign this? since it's not really true that my mother lived in san diego for that long (she is in mexico right now) and if i don't can there be actual consequences? am i obligated to sign this in any way? What is the name of your state?

quincy

You cannot legally be forced to sign any document.

I am not sure what consequences you might experience at the hands of your father if you don't sign.

It is possible your father or your mother are facing consequences of some sort, however, which is probably why your father is pressuring you to sign.

He doesnt know where i live, he doesnt have my number, he just has my email, thats how he requested this.

So he can't really do anything besides threating me, but i wanted to know if i am actually obligated to do so in anyway by being his son

quincy

He doesnt know where i live, he doesnt have my number, he just has my email, thats how he requested this.

So he can't really do anything besides threating me, but i wanted to know if i am actually obligated to do so in anyway by being his son
I don't know. What sort of obligation do you feel you have to your father?

It is never smart to fraudulently sign anything.

Just Blue

Say no. Change your e-mail.

quincy

Well, i actually deposit money on his account monthly, so besides paying him a "retirement" i don't feel obligated to do anything else
You can have an attorney look over the document your father is asking you to sign, to get a better idea of why your dad needs your signature and is willing to have you violate the law in order to get it.

Good luck.

mjpayne

Im in California, SAN DIEGO, i am a permanent resident, my father is a US citizen and my mother is a permanent resident. My father is forcing me and threating me to sign as a witness a form called : SUPPLEMENT TO CLAIM OF PERSON OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES, stating that my mother lived in the united states for over 6 years (which she didnt) and he is saying that there will be "consequences" if i dont sign it, so it is basically a threat. so my question is... do i actually need to sign this? since it's not really true that my mother lived in san diego for that long (she is in mexico right now) and if i don't can there be actual consequences? am i obligated to sign this in any way? What is the name of your state?
Saying there "will be consequences" is not a "threat." It's an obvious fact. You don't have to sign, but you'll have to live with the consequences (mom will have less evidence that she lived in the US for over 6 years, worse relations with your father, etc...).

If your dad does something illegal against you, like setting your car on fire for refusing to sign, that's a totally different matter and is illegal in and of itself regardless of his "signing" request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">