• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my father force me to sign a document as witness for something that didnt actually happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hello everyone, i appreciate all the comments on this, i decided to go for not signing at all and explained the reason why i decided not to sign to my father (on email, because i am not planning to see him in person anytime soon)

What i am wondering right now is that if i actually need to keep supporting him with money, i talked to a lawyer before and he said that even though its not an OBLIGATION to give him money, it's a good idea to keep all the receipts of me sending him some money monthly so that if he ends up going crazy and decides to sue or something, i can show that as a way of saying : shut up, i am actually HELPING you when i dont have to.

So i am not giving him money because i want to, its just a way of building a "defense"

But the question is, should i keep doing it?

quincy

Hello everyone, i appreciate all the comments on this, i decided to go for not signing at all and explained the reason why i decided not to sign to my father (on email, because i am not planning to see him in person anytime soon)

What i am wondering right now is that if i actually need to keep supporting him with money, i talked to a lawyer before and he said that even though its not an OBLIGATION to give him money, it's a good idea to keep all the receipts of me sending him some money monthly so that if he ends up going crazy and decides to sue or something, i can show that as a way of saying : shut up, i am actually HELPING you when i dont have to.

So i am not giving him money because i want to, its just a way of building a "defense"

Your final question is not a legal question that we can answer for you. It is a personal decision you must make.

Good luck. I think your decision not to sign is smart.

mjpayne

No. Your lawyer told you that you don't have to. If you think he's moving to take legal action against you, it's silly to pay for it.

Let me explain a little more about the situation:

1) Dad has some legal problems from the past (Fraud)
2) Dad decides to leave the US and go to Mexico to escape the problem after going to Jail.
3) Dad loses his job (In Mexico), can't pay for his apartment and/or food.
4) Dad threatens me to help him economically
5) I refuse
6) Dad threatens to sue me if i dont (which is weird because.. how can yo sue if you dont have any money)
7) I go to a lawyer and talk about the situation
8) Lawyer says: pay him a small amount, always do it with your bank so that you have receipts, so that if he decides to sue you someday, you will have i strong defense.
9) I start paying monthly
10) Dad asks to sign the documents so that my Mom can get benefits, but by saying something its not true
11) I refuse

Thats pretty much all there is to say, my dad has a record of being a liar, and being involved in fraud before, he even went to Jail for this and my mom paid to get him out of there.

HRZ

The way I read it is you get NO positive benefits here on earth for sending Dad money and a pile of receipts for having done so does NOT get you earthly points either.

IF Mom might be entitled to larger benefits and you actually trust Dad to deliver same to Mom , if the data he submits is falsified, I repeat my suggestion, leave Dads abuse of the system to Dad, do not falsified a Federal docuement to appease Dad.

mjpayne

2) Dad decides to leave the US and go to Mexico to escape the problem after going to Jail.
5) I refuse
6) Dad threatens to sue me if i dont (which is weird because.. how can yo sue if you dont have any money)
By getting a lawyer who will have a % claim on your winnings.
8) Lawyer says: pay him a small amount, always do it with your bank so that you have receipts, so that if he decides to sue you someday, you will have i strong defense.
10) Dad asks to sign the documents so that my Mom can get benefits, but by saying something its not true
11) I refuse

Thats pretty much all there is to say, my dad has a record of being a liar, and being involved in fraud before, he even went to Jail for this and my mom paid to get him out of there.
So your lawyer told you to keep paying your dad as defense from...what? Or did you tell him you really wanted to pay your dad and he said "ok?" Sounds like the latter, but I may be wrong. I wouldn't want to be linked to paying/supporting someone who is a fugitive/hardcore criminal.

quincy

5) I refuse
11) I refuse

Again, it is your decision to make.

It cannot be easy to cut off financial support for a parent but apparently there is no reason you can't do that if you want to.

Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do.

PayrollHRGuy

5) I refuse
11) I refuse

What did the lawyer believe you could be sued for by your father?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">