• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my father force me to sign a document as witness for something that didnt actually happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Saying there "will be consequences" is not a "threat." It's an obvious fact. You don't have to sign, but you'll have to live with the consequences (mom will have less evidence that she lived in the US for over 6 years, worse relations with your father, etc...).

If your dad does something illegal against you, like setting your car on fire for refusing to sign, that's a totally different matter and is illegal in and of itself regardless of his "signing" request.
It can actually be either or both.

quincy

It "could" be, but as far as his ability to get legal recourse is concerned, it isn't. Something more specific is required, like if his father said he was going to kill him.
Threats don't have to be specific to support a legal action.

quincy

Huh? I have no idea what you're talking about. Could you link to some support saying this alone is enough to justify some sort of legal action?
From Black's Law Dictionary:

A threat is a communicated intent to inflict physical or other harm on any person or property ... A menace; especially, any menace of such a nature and extent as to unsettle the mind of the person on whom it operates ... In determining whether words were uttered as a threat, the context in which they were spoken must be considered.

HRZ

As an aside , the filial support law in CA is apparently not often enforced and when it is it seems to focus on duty to support indigent parents .....NOT contribute to thier retirement as such .

Perhaps OP comes from a culture that requires care of ones parents ..that's fine ..but whether a legal duty to pay parents exists in CA absent an order for same is another question.

OP is unwise to sign false docuements ...and if parent lies as posted and makes threats to sign false docuements ...perhaps it's wise to cut the economic ties as well and reduce interaction with Dad.

I suspect but OP does not post that Dad seeks falsified paperwork to qualify Mom for various public sector benefits ? My guess is bottom of the form contains a warning about criminal issues to sign a falsified docuement ?

HRZ

That's a SSA form and addresses penalities for false signed statements as well as repayment issues.......I would distance myself from signing any such falsified statements . IF Dad chooses to lie to get more benefits supposedly for Mom, let him do his own dirty deeds.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Saying there "will be consequences" is not a "threat." It's an obvious fact. You don't have to sign, but you'll have to live with the consequences (mom will have less evidence that she lived in the US for over 6 years, worse relations with your father, etc...).

If your dad does something illegal against you, like setting your car on fire for refusing to sign, that's a totally different matter and is illegal in and of itself regardless of his "signing" request.
Yeah. The consequences of knowingly signing a fraudulent document that's submitted to the USCIS are rarely good if you are not already a citizen yourself.

OP is not a US citizen. OP should take care not to commit any form of fraud, especially regarding the USCIS, because if caught, it could affect OP's status.

What Dad is suggesting is already illegal.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
That's a SSA form and addresses penalities for false signed statements as well as repayment issues.......I would distance myself from signing any such falsified statements . IF Dad chooses to lie to get more benefits supposedly for Mom, let him do his own dirty deeds.
Exactly.

mjpayne

From Black's Law Dictionary:

A threat is a communicated intent to inflict physical or other harm on any person or property ... A menace; especially, any menace of such a nature and extent as to unsettle the mind of the person on whom it operates ... In determining whether words were uttered as a threat, the context in which they were spoken must be considered.
No, I mean under what law could he seek criminal charges against this "threat?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">