• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my husband still add me as co owner of a car on the title even if i don't have a driver's license yet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seunghun

[CALIFORNIA]
Hello we've recently purchased a car and it's fully paid. Although I've been told by an acquaintance that my husband can't make me a co owner as I don't have a driver's license. Is this true?

I'm also an immigrant and my papers are still in processing with immigration so I don't have an SSN yet or driver's license.

FlyingRon

There's no requirement that you have a driver's license to own a car (either by yourself or together with someone else) in California (provided you are an adult).

Seunghun

There's no requirement that you have a driver's license to own a car (either by yourself or together with someone else) in California (provided you are an adult).
Thank you for answering.
That's what I thought too.
I just finished a call with the DMV a second ago and asked them about this. They confirmed that they could definitely add my name on the title even if I didn't have a driver's license.

LdiJ

[CALIFORNIA]
Hello we've recently purchased a car and it's fully paid. Although I've been told by an acquaintance that my husband can't make me a co owner as I don't have a driver's license. Is this true?

I'm also an immigrant and my papers are still in processing with immigration so I don't have an SSN yet or driver's license.
I don't believe that its the lack of a driver's license that will give you a problem, I think that its the lack of an SSN that will be problematic.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The driver's license or the SSN?
Either (both?) You don't need a DL and you don't need a SSN to be added as an owner of the vehicle.

EDIT: To be clear, if one purchases a vehicle from a dealer, they may (and likely will) be required to give some sort of taxpayer ID number. Simply adding one's spouse as an owner won't require it, and a private party sale/transfer won't require it either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">