• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my insurance do this to us?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rjknapp799

California

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm hoping someone can give me better details because my lawyer is really starting to piss me off.

Here's the situation:

My wife was in a car accident in April of 2002. Prior to the car accident she had had back surgery, and this accident caused a new injury to the site of her surgery. She subsequentily had to have another surgery and physical therepy and meds....etc etc. Long story short..it was expensive.
The lady that hit my wife was poor and had very minimal insurance coverage. After a long battle between her insurance and our lawyer, they finally caved and gave us the max they allowed ($15,000). This money was just enough for us to pay off OUR portion of the remaining bills. Only problem, we haven't received a penny of yet because our Lawyer is holding it due to Blue Shield (my carrier through my work) claiming that they should get it ALL because the don't feel they should have had to pay for injuries sustained due to an accident that was someone elses fault.
How can they do this to us? Is it OUR fault the other person had crappy insurance? Our auto insurance paid all they were allowed to pay as well. Isn't this what health insurance is for?
Blue Shield is claiming they should get $45,000.00 from us!! This just seems outrageous to me.

Anyway..if anyone knows anything that we can do to get the insurance company to leave us alone so that we can get our money, I'd appreciate it. We're really frustrated over this. I would think our lawyer could do this, but i just get this feeling he's not trying very hard. He says he's "fighting" it, but I never see any paper work on it whatsoever. Meanwhile, we're about to go bankrupt over this, and Blue Shield just wants to get richer. :-(
I need something to work with here. Any advice would help.

Thanks,
Randy

R

rjknapp799

My lawyer claims that he has filed for the $50k max underinsured motorist. But we haven't heard anything about that since.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">