• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my judgements be imposed on my future spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ronnie92

What is the name of your state? new york
I have several judgements approx.6 years old stemming from cc debt acquired in college . I am currently judgement proof but am concerned about my future spouse and her exposure to my bad fortune. Can they impose my judgements on her assets ? Thanks Ron

Ladynred

No. Your demons will remain yours. The only affect it will have on your future is if you try to obtain ANY joint credit.

R

ronnie92

thank you ladynred does that ANY apply to POA accounts?

Would me being power of attorney on her acct. affect her in any way or would she also be protected ? Thank You

Ladynred

I don't think the POA makes her assets open to your debts. The account is still NOT an asset of yours, its hers.

Maybe one of our lawyers here can clarify if there is any exposure.

JETX

If the debt is yours (and especially pre-marriage) then it cannot DIRECTLY be charged against your fiance.

However, you need to realize that she won't be totally immune to its impact. Anytime that you jointly file for credit (car, house, furniture, etc.) both of your credit histories will be subject to review. And the judgment on yours could affect the approval process and/or the interest rate that you will pay.

One other thing to consider.... you might be hoping that this debt drops off the credit history in another year. However, the SOL for judgment debt in NY is TWENTY YEARS, which means theoretically, these judgments could show on your credit history for a total of TWENTY SEVEN years!!

And one more... any property that is owned jointly (like a house or bank account), in the next 20 years or so, could be used by a creditor to enforce his judgment(s). All in all, not a pretty present to bring to the wedding.

R

ronnie92

halket-thanks fot that info-20yrs does not apply .

20-27 YR credit issue doesn't apply I have a terminal disease with a frame of 5-7 yrs. I just don't won't to unload my burden and checkout. Thank you

JETX

The 20 years does apply. Just because you aren't around, doesn't mean it isn't.

For example, the woods outside my house will be there LONG after I am gone. I can't say that they will cease to exist just because I do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">