• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my landlord tell me I can't babysit 2 kids?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If its only two children licensing is probably not required. A brief google search tends to indicate that a license is not required if there are fewer than 7 children in the home, including the daycare providers own children.
I never said it was required ;)

I just pointing out possible landlord concerns.

Kefrg83

I live in a duplex with one neighbor. The kids are not loud by any means. The 11 year old and 6 year old watch tv color play with toys. They don't run around the house or anything. My landlord even mentioned he spoke with the neighbor asking about noise and she said shes heard nothing. I go back to being 16 years old and babysitting a kid or two, didnt need permits or anything back then. Did laws change in 15-20 years?

Just Blue

I live in a duplex with one neighbor. The kids are not loud by any means. The 11 year old and 6 year old watch tv color play with toys. They don't run around the house or anything. My landlord even mentioned he spoke with the neighbor asking about noise and she said shes heard nothing. I go back to being 16 years old and babysitting a kid or two, didnt need permits or anything back then. Did laws change in 15-20 years?
Are you being paid for providing day care for these children or are you just doing a big favor for a friend?

LdiJ

Its already been established that you don't need any licenses or anything for just two kids. However, it does appear that you are on a month to month rental situation with your landlord therefore your landlord could terminate your lease with 30 days notice. While it would be stupid for your landlord to do so since you have obviously been a good, long term tenant, if he is that worried about liability he could do so.

Again, some additional liability insurance with him as an additional named insured could certainly ease that particular worry, and it shouldn't cost much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">