• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my late sister's estranged husband claim her dog?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

owlfan

To the best of my knowledge, it was just a separation. I heard two stories on the subject, but the "husband" says they were still married. She always said they were divorced. I wasn't around at that time, so I don't know first hand.

quincy

To the best of my knowledge, it was just a separation. I heard two stories on the subject, but the "husband" says they were still married. She always said they were divorced. I wasn't around at that time, so I don't know first hand.
Whether your sister and the fellow were still married or were divorced really should play no role in this - not after 10 years of no contact with the dog.

Mass_Shyster

Sister could always be sleazy about it. (Trust me, I know sleazy).

Take the dog's bed and burn it. This will leave a pile of ashes. Put the ashes in a fancy box and give them to the (ex) husband. Since the bed was the dog's bed, the ashes are now the dog's ashes. Don't lie and say the dog is dead, just say "I know you wanted the dog, but all I can give you is the dog's ashes. Please get out of my life and never contact me again" and stop talking.

quincy

Sister could always be sleazy about it. (Trust me, I know sleazy).

Take the dog's bed and burn it. This will leave a pile of ashes. Put the ashes in a fancy box and give them to the (ex) husband. Since the bed was the dog's bed, the ashes are now the dog's ashes. Don't lie and say the dog is dead, just say "I know you wanted the dog, but all I can give you is the dog's ashes. Please get out of my life and never contact me again" and stop talking.
You do seem to know sleazy, Mass_Shyster. Haha. :)

I do NOT recommend that lies be told. One, it is wrong to lie. Two, lies have a way of backfiring on the liar. And, three, there does not appear to be any good reason to lie.

Just Blue

One has to wonder why the hubby would want a dog at the end of it's life cycle. At 11 years old the vet costs go way up.

adjusterjack

(Trust me, I know sleazy).
And sleepy, dopey and doc?

That's hilarious. I love it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">