• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my manager make us work with no gloves for the second day now as a hotel housekeeper?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xylene

Yes.

The hotel does not have to provide gloves, AND they can insist you not to wear them.

(I'm not sure how sensible this is as a policy, it seems dumb, but they can do it.)

FlyingRon

I'm going to potentially disagree with Xylene. It would depend on what the particular work is and why the gloves would be needed. If there is a valid health concern that would mandate the use of gloves as protective gear for the employee, then not only is the employer required to allow them, he is required to furnish them. Working with certain chemicals or handling unsanitary things are a good example.

Cookcook

I'm going to potentially disagree with Xylene. It would depend on what the particular work is and why the gloves would be needed. If there is a valid health concern that would mandate the use of gloves as protective gear for the employee, then not only is the employer required to allow them, he is required to furnish them. Working with certain chemicals or handling unsanitary things are a good example.
Yes such as bodily fluids absorbed into the sheets which are later collected by me with my bare hands as it meets with my skin cells to absorb again. From about 75 different people a day!

PayrollHRGuy

I will get fired if I do?
That reads like a statement but has a question mark. Did you mean "Will I get fired if I do?" or "I will get fired if I do."

If the former, how do we know? We don't know your boss.

But under Califonia law the name of the person that files the complaint is anonymous.

Under the Federal, and likely the state law, there is protection. https://www.whistleblowers.gov/complaint_page

PayrollHRGuy

Ya theres so much more too!
That likely isn't going to help you. You gain nothing if you start ranting to the authorities about how bad your employer is.

You've been given the cites for the laws that it sounds as if your employer is breaking. When you file your complaint with the state or federal agencies they will not be telling the employer who complained. If he finds out or you are the only person that could have made the complaint I've pointed you in the direction of the laws that protect you.

xylene

I haven't seen anything posted here that say the general duties of a housekeeper in a hotel are subject to any OSHA or California mandate requiring PPE.

Common sense is not an OSHA finding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">