• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my mother have guardianship over my sister how is disabled but competent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maria24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I know my physically disabled twin sister is able to make personal and financial decisions. My sister chose me to be her payee because for years our mother used her SSI money for beer,cigarettes,etc. She wouldn't even give her money for laundry. That made my sister upset so her caseworker drove her and I to the social security office and made changes. My sister feels a independent. Now we both want to move out and live together (We are both 24 years old) and live our lives in a better area where there are more things to do and opportunities. But our mother would become very angry and say that my sister is NOT leaving and that "I will pay" if anything like that happens. She thinks I am also not able to take care of myself because she said I suffer from Bioplar disorder. Currently I am not taking any medication. I was diagnosed when I was 17 years old. But I don't suffer from manic episodes at all. I'm able to get a college degree on my own, interact with people well. and I was diagnosed with clinical depression 3 years ago but the doctor didn't think I need medication. I am fine despite my past. I suffered from depression because my mom was/still verbally abusive plus being at home is depressing.

My sister really want to move out because she is tired of the emotional and verbal abuse and neglect. I am my sister's caregiver (she hired me to take care of her recently) and I feed,dress,take her to places,socialize) and my mom does nothing but go to her room and smoke cigs and I know she suffers from an undiagnosed mental illness for years. My sister has arthrogryposis. (No autism, down syndrome,etc.). Does she need a power of attorney? I'm scared the jugde thinks I am not able to take care of my sister because of my past. I want my sister and I to move out from a toxic household.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your original post is time stamped at one o'clock in the morning. Few people are up and on the boards at that hour. This is not Time Warner; operators are not standing by 24/7 to take your call. Even now most people are barely up and running. And not everyone who looks at any given post is going to know the answer to your specific question.

This board is staffed by volunteers who do this on their own time and do not get paid for it. When someone who knows the answer to your question comes by, they will respond. Until then, exercise a little patience, please.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I know my physically disabled twin sister is able to make personal and financial decisions. My sister chose me to be her payee because for years our mother used her SSI money for beer,cigarettes,etc. She wouldn't even give her money for laundry. That made my sister upset so her caseworker drove her and I to the social security office and made changes. My sister feels a independent. Now we both want to move out and live together (We are both 24 years old) and live our lives in a better area where there are more things to do and opportunities. But our mother would become very angry and say that my sister is NOT leaving and that "I will pay" if anything like that happens. She thinks I am also not able to take care of myself because she said I suffer from Bioplar disorder. Currently I am not taking any medication. I was diagnosed when I was 17 years old. But I don't suffer from manic episodes at all. I'm able to get a college degree on my own, interact with people well. and I was diagnosed with clinical depression 3 years ago but the doctor didn't think I need medication. I am fine despite my past. I suffered from depression because my mom was/still verbally abusive plus being at home is depressing.

My sister really want to move out because she is tired of the emotional and verbal abuse and neglect. I am my sister's caregiver (she hired me to take care of her recently) and I feed,dress,take her to places,socialize) and my mom does nothing but go to her room and smoke cigs and I know she suffers from an undiagnosed mental illness for years. My sister has arthrogryposis. (No autism, down syndrome,etc.). Does she need a power of attorney? I'm scared the jugde thinks I am not able to take care of my sister because of my past. I want my sister and I to move out from a toxic household.
What court determined that your 24 year old sister needs a guardian after the age of 18? When did that happen? Why are you not taking any medication for bipolar? Quite frankly, you may not know if you suffer from manic episodes at all. Manic episodes take very different appearances depending on the person. Was the doctor a psychiatrist? Do you have the money to move out and support yourself let alone your sister?

Just Blue

What court determined that your 24 year old sister needs a guardian after the age of 18? When did that happen? Why are you not taking any medication for bipolar? Quite frankly, you may not know if you suffer from manic episodes at all. Manic episodes take very different appearances depending on the person. Was the doctor a psychiatrist? Do you have the money to move out and support yourself let alone your sister?
I get the hmmmm...ignor my pm.:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">