• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my only asset be held against me if claiming insolvency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

A little background on the situation:
Back in June of 2010 I lost my job due to epilepsy causing me to miss too many hours at work. I did have an ADA accomodation, however, they became unable to continue to work with me on it due to the hours missed causing too much of a burden to them. I fully understood their reasoning and they worked with me as best as they could as the final year I had more and more problems.

I went on to SSDI as of August, however, due to my age and the number of years I have actually contributed to social security I only receive 950 dollars a month and so my income now is less than many of my medical expenses. With the state of Kansas I am not eligible for full medicaid and cannot receive medicare for 2 years, am only eligible for a medically needy plan with a spenddown that exceeds half my income. This has made me unable to pay any debts off as I must have my medication and cannot even afford my rent and utilities.

The other day I was was issued papers stating that I am being sued by one of the physical therapy facilities that I had to go to and have not been able to pay off.

My question is, I only own one asset, a motorcycle, no other vehicles and no house. According to what I have been able to find out I am basically insolvent as at this time I have around 50,000 dollars in medical expenses and 70,000 in student loans as I was going to college up until the beginning of 2010. I am worried that I may be forced to liquidate this one asset that I do have although it is only worth 6,000 dollars but I do own it free and clear.

I am also wondering if I would be able to claim insolvency as my debts exceed my assets and have no spare income to pay on these debts. Any help would be greatly appreciated on this. I do believe that I do need to get in contact with an attorney however if I am in order to settle it with the court. My only other option is to attempt to start bankruptcy, but on disability I cannot afford to file.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">