• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my Realtor hold my family hostage for ransom?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

The OP clearly said they are insisting upon access, or they will be in breach and need to pay $1,500.00.

Here, let me quote it: "... they insist on showing our house or face breach of contract with 1500 fee."
Do you also believe she is being held hostage?

quincy

The realtor is not out of line in stating there will be a penalty for breaching the terms of the contract. The contract terms would need to be read to see what exactly the penalty is.

But the realtor appears to be way out of line in not removing the lockbox on request or demand of the homeowner.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The realtor is not out of line in stating there will be a penalty for breaching the terms of the contract. The contract terms would need to be read to see what exactly the penalty is.

But the realtor appears to be way out of line in not removing the lockbox on request or demand of the homeowner.
I am sure they will remove the drop box upon payment of the fee ;)

Zigner

That is not the way it works, though. It is not the realtor's house.
Yes, I understand. The way it SHOULD work is that the agent removes the lockbox (dunno why I wrote "drop box" above) and then pursue the OP for the payment.

quincy

Yes, I understand. The way it SHOULD work is that the agent removes the lockbox (dunno why I wrote "drop box" above) and then pursue the OP for the payment.
So ... in a way it could be said that the realtor is holding the homeowners hostage until they pay the ransom. :);):p

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I dunno.... We had this house on the market for 6 mos last year, When we changed our minds about halfway in? I just stopped making an effort to make it show-worthy. (to be fair - we had no lockbox and showing was by appt only due to our situation.) It was a pain, but not really that onerous.

adjusterjack

My realtor insists that I must continue to show my home until our agreement ends on 10/31/2018 or pay $1500 penalty.
Jeez. The 31st is next Wednesday. Don't risk an expensive lawsuit for just a week. Stick it out. It's way too late to go nuts over something you SIGNED and AGREED TO many month's ago. Stay home when the house is being shown. When the listing expires you can tell your agent to get lost.

Next time you want to list your house read and understand the damned contract before you sign it because real estate agents are all alike and they use the same listing contract and the same things will happen again unless you are careful and ask for modification of the contract.

In fact, read it now because it probably has a "tail" that could last 3 to 6 more months that says you pay your current agent's commission if you sell through another agent under certain circumstances.

I hate realtors. They are no better than used car dealers.

quincy

I dunno.... We had this house on the market for 6 mos last year, When we changed our minds about halfway in? I just stopped making an effort to make it show-worthy. (to be fair - we had no lockbox and showing was by appt only due to our situation.) It was a pain, but not really that onerous.
I think the problem here is that the realtor is making demands on the homeowner that s/he has no right to demand. The lockbox should be removed if the homeowner wants it removed.

Zigner

I think the problem here is that the realtor is making demands on the homeowner that s/he has no right to demand. The lockbox should be removed if the homeowner wants it removed.
You are right...
but based on the OP's theatrics, I suspect that the agent's version of the story is going to be something along the lines of:

OP: I want you to take the lockbox off, I'm THROUGH with you!
Agent: Ok, but you're going to be responsible for $1,500.00 for breaching the contract.
OP: Oh, HELL NO. There's no way I'm going to pay you anything!
Agent: We'll come take off the lockbox and bill you.
OP: Don't you come NEAR my house!

quincy

You are right...
but based on the OP's theatrics, I suspect that the agent's version of the story is going to be something along the lines of:

OP: I want you to take the lockbox off, I'm THROUGH with you!
Agent: Ok, but you're going to be responsible for $1,500.00 for breaching the contract.
OP: Oh, HELL NO. There's no way I'm going to pay you anything!
Agent: We'll come take off the lockbox and bill you.
OP: Don't you come NEAR my house!
Hahaha. That could very well be the way it went. :)

LdiJ

The OP clearly said they are insisting upon access, or they will be in breach and need to pay $1,500.00.

Here, let me quote it: "... they insist on showing our house or face breach of contract with 1500 fee."
Yes, its clear that the homeowner is in breach of contract. Are you attempting to say that the realtor has the right to continue to enter the property anyway until such time as the fee is paid? I am NOT disagreeing that that the 1500.00 fee is due. I am speaking solely in regards to entry to the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">