• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my Roommate/Primary Leaseholder ban my fiance from apt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

esdavidson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK

I am subleasing a room in a 2 BR in New York for the summer. When I moved in, my roommate and I discussed that my fiance would come to visit me from Los Angeles and that he would stay with me. My roommate/leaseholder and I verbally agreed on this and since, and he has come once for a weekend with no problems.

As of late my roommate and I have not been getting along, the details of which I can provide. My fiance is coming again to celebrate my birthday and help me move out and will stay for 6 days. I fear that she will try to ban him from the apartment or withhold my deposit to retaliate. Can she legally do this?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK

I am subleasing a room in a 2 BR in New York for the summer. When I moved in, my roommate and I discussed that my fiance would come to visit me from Los Angeles and that he would stay with me. My roommate/leaseholder and I verbally agreed on this and since, and he has come once for a weekend with no problems.

As of late my roommate and I have not been getting along, the details of which I can provide. My fiance is coming again to celebrate my birthday and help me move out and will stay for 6 days. I fear that she will try to ban him from the apartment or withhold my deposit to retaliate. Can she legally do this?
No to both , but reality is ,the lease holder can cause trouble .

Can the other rent a room elsewhere for the 6 days and vist - help out in the daytimes ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">