• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can My Wife Be Held Responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chilibill

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am considering filing bankruptcy. All my debt was incurred prior to my marriage and my wife’s name is on none of the accounts. She owns the house where we live. Can she be held responsible for any of my debt?

One bank is including her new, married name on an account opened by me, and me alone, months before we were married. They are refusing to remove her name. Is this legal?

Ladynred

No, she cannot be held responsible for any of YOUR debt. As long as her name is on nothing that you include in the BK, she's liable for nothing.

What reason do they give you for refusing to remove her name from the account ? If your the originator and the sole owner/signer of the card, then how did your wife get on the account ? I'd ask them that first. Unless she signed anything regarding the account, then you should have full rights to have her removed, even if you'd added her as an authorized user yourself.

Bill,

I'm in the same position as you. All my CC debt luckily were from cards obtained prior to our marriage with just my name on them, not my wifes. The only thing that we have a joint account on is our car that we are going to keep making payments on.

I would definatley do as Lady suggested and see what she signed if anything at the bank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">