• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can not accomadate restrictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

philrayer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arizona

My doctor said I can work under restrictions , but my company said they can not accommodate my restrictions. They told me to go back on short term disability till they can accommodate me. Can a company do this? If they can should they say this to the insurance company?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arizona

My doctor said I can work under restrictions , but my company said they can not accommodate my restrictions. They told me to go back on short term disability till they can accommodate me. Can a company do this? If they can should they say this to the insurance company?
**A: please explain.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based SOLELY on the information you have provided, yes, they can do this. They have no legal obligation under any law to create a job that fits your restrictions if they do not have one available.

philrayer

"Can not accomadate restrictions"

**A: please explain.

Restrictions: patient can lift 5-10 lb.
-bend 1 hr. -kneel prohibited -crawl prohibited -squat 1 hr. -walk 1 hr. -climb stairs 1 hr.-climb ladders prohibited -standinng 1hr. Patent has degenerated disc. and total knee replacment. Patent was working in a receiving dock unloading parcel truck.

**Based SOLELY on the information you have provided, yes, they can do this. They have no legal obligation under any law to create a job that fits your restrictions if they do not have one available.

They did but the insurance company keeps saying you need to get the doctor to say you can not work. Its not the doctor its the company.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's a matter of the disability policy, not a matter of law. Nothing in the law says they can't take you off work when they have no work within your restrictions unless your disability policy will pay. There isn't even a law in your state that says they have to have a disability policy.

The bottom line is that they have no legal obligation to make up a job for you within your restrictions or to bring you back to work if they cannot accomodate your restrictions. Whether the disablity policy will or will not accept you back for benefits does not affect this.

philrayer

cbg,

Thats what I thought. I told the insurure that its not the doctor that says I can not do the job its the company that say's that. I do have a memo from
medical and hr that say they can not accommidate my restrictions. I forwarded copies of those papers to the insurure. Plus I have not heard a word from my hr rep. who told me she would get back to me as soon as she went over my resume. That was 4 months ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">