• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can nursing home take a residents life insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adviceseeker101

Lives in MA. Became long term in May of this year. has MC and medicaid. its only a 10k$ policy, which was set in place essentially to pay for funeral services when the time comes. Nursing home's list of info requested included life insurances, which is what popped this into my mind.

thanks

xylene

You need to ask the nursing home why they are asking about this and what they intend at end of life.

It isn't bad taste or anything to ask. Ideally get it in writing too.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Whole life insurance may be considered an asset. Ask why they need the info, as suggested above.

LdiJ

I agree that you should ask them why they need the information, but the life insurance will be going to the beneficiary of the policy and the beneficiary has no responsibility to the nursing home.

adviceseeker101

thank you

I may also seek an attorney consult to see if we can somehow prepay for the funeral with these funds or something if they indeed intend to take it. Again, my main concern is to be able to give him a prober burial. Unfortunately it seems like a decent service runs about 10k around where he lives.

thanks again.

Zigner

I agree that you should ask them why they need the information, but the life insurance will be going to the beneficiary of the policy and the beneficiary has no responsibility to the nursing home.
Whole life insurance may be considered an asset.

Zigner

That is possible, but then it wouldn't be the nursing home asking, it would be Medicaid asking.
Nursing homes often coordinate with Medicaid - they also know the policies of Medicaid. The OP needs to flesh this out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">