• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can OHIO CPS take my kids for my wife testing positive for Weed!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimjimconnors

Jurisdiction Ohio!

My 8 year old daughter was involved in an incident over 4th of July where an 11 year old neighbor boy tried to show her his penis. She brought it up out of the blue a few days later just before we tucked her in to bed. My wife, whom was rightfully freaked out, started to really interrogate her without me present and may have inadvertently led her to say she had also been touched inappropriately. We know this because the next day my daughter randomly said "dad you know the boy tried to show me his penis but he actually never touched me I just told mom that because she insisted it happened and when i kept telling her no she said you're lying to me". That being said I tried to call a family meeting to discuss this with my wife but the damage had been done and she had already dialed the police and called CPS crisis hotline to schedule a case worker to come to our house. I suggested we talk to the boys mother whom lives in our neighborhood...don't get me wrong I was pissed and had no regard for the boy for his behavior but in my opinion this did not warrant police involvement or CPS until we knew more. I wanted to tell the boy whom is fatherless that what he did was wrong and advise him to stay away from our daughters or there would be police involvement (mind you he is a sweet boy just misguided, fathers in jail single mother etc.)

Any way next thing I know CPS is at my door to collect a statement and question us and do a walk through of our house. We are like the most ideal parents on the planet we have 4 daughters, i have a great job (make decent money), I work at home 90% of the time, my wife is stay at home as well. We take our kids on family trips, fun activities, we garden, have backyard chickens, we cook clean, eat organic, don't abuse alcohol, don't own any weapons, non smoking. basically we have been kicking ass as parents the whole time.

However!!! and this is a big however!! my wife in a frenzy called a crisis center which has ties to cps which she just now disclosed to me and when she was asked if she had a history of drug abuse, she disclosed that she did not but that she smokes weed with a girlfriend once in a great while to calm her mild anxiety.

my question is whether or not in Ohio they are going to drug test my wife who is a nursing mother, and if they are going to turn my family upside down over an occasional joint (try to take my kids away etc.) jail, fines, court, rehab...basically bs when my kids are in no danger and have great loving parents, fed well (stocked fridge) 2300 sq ft house in the burbs, parents that read to their parents every night and kids that excel beyond their age in school.

we have no history of violence, no criminal record, squeaky clean record

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!
Kindest regards,

JJCONNOR

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I doubt very much that an admission of occaisonally smoking some weed at a friend’s place is going to cause CPS to move to take the kids away. The law does not require parents to be perfect. What the law requires is that parents not abuse or severely neglect their kids. Absent some evidence that the weed smoking is leading to abuse/neglect of the kids this should not be a significant issue for CPS.

LdiJ

I doubt very much that an admission of occaisonally smoking some weed at a friend’s place is going to cause CPS to move to take the kids away. The law does not require parents to be perfect. What the law requires is that parents not abuse or severely neglect their kids. Absent some evidence that the weed smoking is leading to abuse/neglect of the kids this should not be a significant issue for CPS.
I agree with this advice but I will add, tell your wife to STOP confessing to criminal behavior to ANYONE. She also needs to stop calling anybody else about this matter unless you are present and participating, since she does not seem to have much common sense.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
:eek:. An 11 year old boy is trying to expose himself to your 8 year old, and you think that a "discussion" would be the best response. :mad:

11 year olds are starting to get a little hormonal and interested in their emerging sexuality and their various crushes. That an 11 year old would expose himself to an 8 year old rather than someone more sexually mature is not a sweet misguided boy, but a pedophile in the making.

xylene

11 year olds are starting to get a little hormonal and interested in their emerging sexuality and their various crushes. That an 11 year old would expose himself to an 8 year old rather than someone more sexually mature is not a sweet misguided boy, but a pedophile in the making.
I'm not entirely shure about crucifying the boy or labeling in the incident as a sex crime, but yeah, it needs more attention than than a parent to parent chat. What I actually found more worrisome was the OPs idea that he would be part of corrrecting or instructiong the boy. That was deeply over the line and yet still all over the place. I'm also weirded out be the idea mom is not able to comport herself reasonably when not in the presence of her husband.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I dunno.... I've known lots of kids (both genders) w/single Moms and uninvolved Dads, yet not a one thought wagging it around was something to do. Nor do I know many parents who feel "family meetings" are a way to resolve parenting differences.

As for "we're the best parents in the history of the Universe!!!"? LOL Uuuuuuuuh.... no. Great parents both know and acknowledge that they have faults. It takes others to tell them they're great parents.

commentator

So what happened is that alarm bells are going off all over the place at CPS about this whole family. All this perfect papa wants us to tell him is whether or not the momma is going to get the kids taken away from them and out of this perfect family, but what has happened is a lot of baloney that is being reported here and doubtless to the caseworker involved. So let them check this home out more thoroughly. Agree, this dad's thoughts on what happened and ideas about how to handle it are OFF. Mom smoking a little pot isn't the most weird or likely hurtful thing that could be going on, imho.

HRZ

Mom needs to learn to shut up about minor misdemeanor issues lest somebody chose to make a point about same ....unlikely but stupid to raise any such issues .

My view is it is unwise to confront another parent about improper sexual conduct of her child or confront the child directly ....at least in context of your post you lack skills or training in any such matters and the matter is now in hands of agency which is supposed to be capable of protecting children .

Your comments about the perfect nature of your family don't add to equation.

There is a serious question of your wife's enhancement of what did or did not happen ....and her credibility is really zero as posted

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In what county is this? I practice juvenile law in Ohio and have also won many appeals. Furthermore the 11 year old did NOT commit a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">