• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can One Force Removal From Will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrsSSimpson

What is the name of your state? California

Here's the deal: I am one of four adult children - myself, two sisters and a brother. My Dad has just told me that he's leaving his estate to my younger brother, and leaving each of us sisters $2. His "reasoning" is that he doesn't want us to fight over it (stupid reason, my opinion). He wants us to have to go to our younger brother if we ever need anything, but says if he leaves us girls off the will we might go to court over it, so he had to leave us something. Here's MY take: I don't want ONE RED CENT! I've never asked him for help, even if I needed it, and I sure as hell wouldn't ask my YOUNGER BROTHER. What's worse, is, if he does pass, I don't want to live with the shame and HUMILIATION knowing my father left me TWO DOLLARS! I want to be removed, even if it means signing a waiver or release that I will NEVER sue for a dime - I just don't want to be on it at ALL.

Is there ANY legal way to FORCE my father to remove my name from his will?????

Help,
Helplessly INSULTED

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MrsSSimpson said:
What is the name of your state? California

Here's the deal: I am one of four adult children - myself, two sisters and a brother. My Dad has just told me that he's leaving his estate to my younger brother, and leaving each of us sisters $2. His "reasoning" is that he doesn't want us to fight over it (stupid reason, my opinion). He wants us to have to go to our younger brother if we ever need anything, but says if he leaves us girls off the will we might go to court over it, so he had to leave us something. Here's MY take: I don't want ONE RED CENT! I've never asked him for help, even if I needed it, and I sure as hell wouldn't ask my YOUNGER BROTHER. What's worse, is, if he does pass, I don't want to live with the shame and HUMILIATION knowing my father left me TWO DOLLARS! I want to be removed, even if it means signing a waiver or release that I will NEVER sue for a dime - I just don't want to be on it at ALL.

Is there ANY legal way to FORCE my father to remove my name from his will?????

Help,
Helplessly INSULTED

My response:

Simple answer - - no.

It's his Will and he can write anything in it he pleases.

IAAL

Dandy Don

If father doesn't like YOU, then he is possibly not being completely honest with you. Awarding small amounts is a classic tradition of DISINHERITING beneficiaries--it will be interepreted as meaning that your father really DIDN'T want you to have anything. Please ask him to discuss this with an attorney if he has any doubts about what you are saying. If he really wants to leave you anything it is better for him to specify it in the will, because after brother gets the money, he has no legal obligation to give it to anyone else--he can keep it all for himself if he wants!

If you don't really want anything from the estate, then leave everything as is. There is not going to be a public reading of the will and it will only be seen by family members.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">