• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can one's H4 status affect their OPT application?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anar9229

Currently, I am an F-1 student. I would like to apply for OPT by the end of this semester. However, my college advisor is concerned that I may have a dual status which may affect my OPT application.
In August 2021 I applied for a change of status from F2 to H4 since my spouse's status was changed to H1-B. My status was changed in October 2021 and it is valid until September 2024.
Last year I went back home to my country and applied for an F1 visa from there. My F1 visa was approved in July 2022 and I entered the USA with F1 status.
I would like to clarify my current status in the USA and make sure that it won't affect my OPT application.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">