• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can parents retain property of adult children they've kicked out if they are still making payments on said property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjvlj9t

Oklahoma

My husband and I had brief separation and he moved into his parents house. When he decided to work it out with me, his parents kicked him out and refused to let him gather up all his belongings. Some he still making payments on. He only got a few clothes to take with him. Is there a way for them to pay him for reimbursement for what he paid for or legally require them to give the rest of his belongings back? He has receipts for some things. It happened this past Wednesday when they kicked him out and they said they would have him arrested if he came back to their house.

LdiJ

Oklahoma

My husband and I had brief separation and he moved into his parents house. When he decided to work it out with me, his parents kicked him out and refused to let him gather up all his belongings. Some he still making payments on. He only got a few clothes to take with him. Is there a way for them to pay him for reimbursement for what he paid for or legally require them to give the rest of his belongings back? He has receipts for some things. It happened this past Wednesday when they kicked him out and they said they would have him arrested if he came back to their house.
He should ask the police for a civil standby to go with him to his parent's house to try to retrieve his belongings. If that doesn't work, then small claims court would be the next option.

Just Blue

Oklahoma

What type of property?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
But that could mean any of several possibilities, from a high-end car to a Rent-To-Own TV...
I suspect that it's more along the lines of the Rent-To-Own TV.

Which still means that hubby (not OP) should sent his parents a notice that if they do not allow him to retrieve his property by X date, he will take them to small claims court.

mjvlj9t

A couple of TVs, a couple of guns, several instruments, and some furniture. And yes he called the local police department and they suggested a civil stand by as well.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">