• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Police Speed with no lights? - KY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmletzko

My wife was just given a speeding ticket on the road outside our subdivision. She was clocked going 51 in a 35, but the officer reduced it to 40. Since the minimum fine is $145, that reduction really didn't do much but save a few bucks. The 35 mph limit is very low for the road, as there are very few houses and it's easy to see a long distance. We have had many complaints about people speeding right in our neighborhood and they keep blowing us off. At least 1 dog has been killed and several children have been close to getting hit. So I guess it's OK for people to speed in our subdivision but not on the main road.

My gripe is this. A few days after my wife got this ticket, I witnessed a police car going well over 50 without his/her lights on. Do they have the right to do this?

We can pay $135 to go to traffic school and the ticket will not affect her record/insurance, but there's a principle here that I want to know if it's worth pursuing.

Thanks for any advice.

-Matt

BelizeBreeze

and did you subpoena the call records to determine if the officer was on a call? Did you follow to see what was happening?

You are fishing because your wife got caught. And fishing without bait.

C

Caljamscott

In New York they're not supposed to speed without flashing lights, but they do it anyway on occassion.

CdwJava

mmletzko said:
We can pay $135 to go to traffic school and the ticket will not affect her record/insurance, but there's a principle here that I want to know if it's worth pursuing.
You can pursue it with the Chief of Police or the Watch Commander, but it will do nothing to defend your wife from the charges against her.

Arguing that other people do the same thing is never a good defense.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">